Merlin Metalworks XLM Serial Numbers and Lost History

Al.Lugtenburg

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
Reopening an old thread about Merlin Metalworks Serial Numbers but focusing on the XLM model as there's not much info about it mainly from 1995-96 to 1997.

Seems they appeared by the first time at the 1997 catalog with V-Brakes. But before that, in 1995-96, they're offered as Extralight or XLM with rear posts for cantilever brakes.

The ones I saw from 1996 had the Serial Number from XM2xx to XM7xx, and seems the earlier ones had the Extralight decals at the top tube. The ones from mid 1996 and up already had the XLM decals. Don't know if that's true but somewhere by mid 96 they changed from Extralight to XLM and the model was officially launched in 1997 as XLM, a lighter version of the Mountain based on the Extralight road.

It looks like the Serial Number for XLM changed from XMxxx to another format after 1997 or 1998 as the ones I saw from 1998 and after are just numbers without the XM.

The previous thread I mentioned is below and was started by cce. There's already lots of info there.
merlin-metalworks-owners-thread-serial-numbers-collect.168184

I'd like to colect information about Merlins Extralight / XLM from 1995 to 1997, as serial number and year made. I'm curious to answer a few questions too, as why they had cantilever posts in 1996, if Extralight was really the earlier name of XLM and why it was not officially launched in 1996.

Any other info would be highly appreciated as this is part of Merlin Metalworks MTB history. And because XLM's are awesome.

Enjoy the thread,
Al

Last edited:
mine was XM277 so fairly low in the sequence and had XLM decals. I do not know if they were original. Long sold now.

Extralight was the top-end road frame, so it's possible decals were used in early marketing shots?

1686227563514.png

Rob Vandermark was active on twitter a few years ago when i was thinking about sticking a disc brake on the back. He told me not to so i didnt.

This is what I have from previous thread and other places.

XM166 19xx Merlin XLM
XM238 1996 Merlin Extralight
XM277 1996 Merlin XLM
XM3xx 1996 Merlin Extralight
XM457 1995 Merlin XLM
XM534 1996 Merlin XLM
XM569 1996 Merlin (no decals)
XM749 1996 Merlin XLM
XM861 1996? Merlin XLM

Years by owners memory.

Last edited:
I was curious what year mine was built and found this Forum. It is serial number XM0861im guessing 1996?

I had it built in the mid 1990’s mostly Shamino 950 group the bottom bracket cartridge is patent pending and has a 4 post chainring spider I’m not sure if this is early for the 950 group?

Pretty much everything on it is from my original build, Chris King headset, Kore stem, Kevlar carbon fiber tiger handle bar and Judy SL fork, the Judy has a spring kit and Gem cartridge. The front wheel is a mavic cross max, I replaced the rear cross max when the hub blew up with the mavic cross land.

I’m in the process of installing the CYC Stealth e bike kit but saving the components and making no modifications to the frame.
Clark

My builder was an interesting guy he lived next door to Gary Klein back when he was working out of his garage.

I was just reading the XTR M950 came out in 1996 so that might further support the frame on my Merlin being a 1996 with patent pending on the BB cartridge.

View attachment 746647
First time we could see a mtb extralight : 1993 Mountain Bike Action… but it was only a prototyp
(https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Merlin/Reviews/Mountain/mer4C.jpg.html)
Not the best Proto review 🤔 I assume they allowed/specced a thicker tubing mid section by reducing the centre grinding. Rode a 91 Merlin but it was way too flexy, as were many Ti frames of that era. Love the look of later XLMs but they a bit prone to denting easily but ride nice.

I was curious what year mine was built and found this Forum. It is serial number XM0861im guessing 1996?

I had it built in the mid 1990’s mostly Shamino 950 group the bottom bracket cartridge is patent pending and has a 4 post chainring spider I’m not sure if this is early for the 950 group?

Pretty much everything on it is from my original build, Chris King headset, Kore stem, Kevlar carbon fiber tiger handle bar and Judy SL fork, the Judy has a spring kit and Gem cartridge. The front wheel is a mavic cross max, I replaced the rear cross max when the hub blew up with the mavic cross land.

I’m in the process of installing the CYC Stealth e bike kit but saving the components and making no modifications to the frame.
Clark

My builder was an interesting guy he lived next door to Gary Klein back when he was working out of his garage.
Can you add a pic of the frame?

On my dropout I assumed the serial number was 0861 not 086 is the last digit/letter a frame size mark and not part of the serial number?

Also looking at the XTR history I guess my component 950 group could be as early as 1995, I remember I had to wait for the frame to come in from Merlin dating the 950 only means it could not be before as the 950 could have come from the builders inventory. I will say it’s as smooth as the day it was built and we rode steep trails 6 days a week mostly in the Santa Cruz mountains above the town of Los Gatos, in California. My top speed coming back down the backside from the ridge on the Merlin was 64mph on rough rocky duel trac. This trail was an hour climb up after hitting the trail head and 15 minutes to a warm cup at the coffee shop In town. I was working for the fire department as a station Captain we’d ride at 4AM for a short 30 minute ride before going on duty then meet after work the next day for a long ride taking Sunday off. I rode with my crew and a few other guys from different departments, one friend not a F/F we rode with was sponsored by Trek he was faster uphill, we even rode occasionally with Candy Wozniak, Steve’s ex wife, she’d hang out at the Roaster, our local coffee shop. I promoted off the line in 97 I think and had the Merlin for at least close to a couple years before that. The bike I moved from was a Gary Fisher Cronus when a lady was admiring my mountain bike rear ended my car at a stop light crushing my bike, lol… her insurance bought my Merlin.
IMG_0204.png

Back