1989 Spectrum Titanium by Merlin Metalworks

This caught my eye from rBoTM.

Think it's lovely, but for me it's just screaming to have black tape, black handle bar plugs, black Rolls Titanio saddle,
and black pedals with black toestraps. To be really picky, the front wheel needs flipping and a black valve cover.

If all that was done, it would go into dream bike status and all greek gods would bow down to it.

Thanks to all for the comments,

The set up, color scheme and build, came courtesey of a donor bike which was all period correct including the bar tape which is 80s vintage. And yes the backwards quick release seems to be a weakness of mine, got ripped for that over at BoTM.

Steven

Gorgeous bike!
Can you, or anyone else who owns one of these, tell me how it rides (a subjective question to be sure!). I found one (frame/original AL fork only - so I can't ride it) in good condition that I'm thinking of buying. I'm a lightweight, used to riding classic steel, and want to make sure the ride won't be too stiff. Also, how is the original aluminum fork versus the carbon fiber one you had on? Thanks for any info!

First off, thanks for the comment.

The bike is a race bike for sure so it is very stiff. That said I love the way it rides it is responsive and very nimble. The Aluminum fork is a bit more harsh than the carbon but not enough to make it uncomfortable. If the price is good I would certainly go for it.

Steven

Thanks for the response. I expect it to have racing geometry and I'm used to riding mostly vintage steel Italian racing bikes (DeRosa, Colnago, etc.), so I want responsive, but as I'm only about 136lbs dripping wet, I don't want bone shattering stiff. I talked to the nice folks at Spectrum (both Tom and Jeff are more than friendly and helpful) and they said these bike were very well made and durable, but old TI technology as they were limited in available tubing and didn't have butted tubing, etc. Have you ridden any more modern TI bikes for comparison? Just as a note, I'm not considering any other TI bikes as I just love the classic looks and wonderful detailing on these frames, and, as a lover of vintage bikes, this is about as current as I want to get. Best, David

Back