1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Time for an update ?

I've been busy training for Etape de Yorkshire on the 8th of June, mirroring the route of Day 1 of Le Tour. I had hoped to ride the Banana, but having done a recce it's not going to happen, even 39x25 is too high for me, and with 122 miles to do it's not going to happen - I'm going to use the disposable 'plastic' bike.

My daughter is finally out growing a condition that has hospitalised her several times over the last few years - so I'm riding for Sheffield Children's Hospital to try to repay their kindness.

That said I've been out a couple of times this year on the bike and enjoyed it massively, I'm still finding little bits to tart up.....

I have been asked by the Dave Rayner fund, to loan the bike to an exhibition that will run through the summer months in Harrogate. I've seen what they've done with the bikes they already have, and it seems a fitting venue for my/Dave's bike to spend this special summer.

I'm taking it along in a couple of weeks time - so expect some stunning photo's.

Any details of the exhibition?
I'll be in the area over the summer, so could go and have a look see.......

As i noted in my last post, I'd spoken to John Rayner, Dave's father at length earlier in the year, and he'd asked me to take "our Dave's bike" to the exhibition in Harrogate, initially I was intrigued as it's taking place in a furniture showroom...

We had a natter, and in amongst our conversation, I was amazed to find that as my bike was Dave's race bike he never got to take it home - it stayed with the team, and he was given a lesser model for training.

So I did some digging, and found the bike would be in good, nay hallowed company, with Brian Robinson's bike, Barry Hoban's, Ken Russell's etc, etc...

Then I'd figured out it was within a stone's throw of the finish of stage 1 of Le Tour, (and who could ever say No to John....) it became a no brainer.

So the bike will be away for the summer in the PoliformNorth event in Harrogate. raising money for the Dave Rayner Fund and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

Attachments

• Bp3uD85IQAIqDBv.jpg
    Bp3uD85IQAIqDBv.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,224
Re:

An unashamed plug - Poliform North who are hosting the bicycle expo as above are selling these cool T-shirts (www.poliformnorth.co.uk)

"Drawing on the rich and vibrant history of the tour and its affinity with Yorkshire, this limited edition T-Shirt in glorious colour perfectly captures the true spirit of the Tour de France.
Celebrated artist James Straffons work depicts some of the biggest names in Tour’s history. Jacques Anquetil, Tommy Simpson, Brian Robinson, Barry Hoban, Mark Cavendish, Fausto Coppi, Eddy Merckx and of course Harry Binns.""

Both the Dave Rayner Fund and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance will benefit from these sales.

Attachments

• t-shirt.PNG
    t-shirt.PNG
    92 KB · Views: 1,099
So the tour came to Yorkshire..... and i think we did it proud!

What a splendid three days I've just had. We'd thought we'd go to Leeds, then Harrogate, Sheffield (my residence, but not my home town...) and then London. But this is Retrobike, so it's only my Harrogate leg you're interested in...

Leeds we only saw the station - we made the call to go straight to Harrogate to 'camp' on the finish And we made the right call - we were that close we saw Cav crawl over the line after his crash.

So I mentioned that the 'nana was going to be in an exhibition in Harrogate for the Dave Rayner Fund/Yorkshire Air Ambulance, and indeed it was - but the chap who'd arranged the event had moved the bike from it's (see pic above)- and the intake of breath, and the lump in the back of my throat as I saw the image below was well, very emotional, especially when you've got a lovely chap talking you through the history of the bike, and you can't think how you're going to tell him a) you know, and b) it's my bike :)

It didn't help that we were then fed and watered and treated to the stories from Brian Robinson and Barry Hoban of the Tour of yesteryear. It was a perfect end to a great day - Barry's tales of the 'other' race in Le Tour were amazing - and frankly it's probably the race with more contenders - the race against the cut-off!

I took lots of pics, and will upload more, but for now here's what I saw when I climbed up the staircase at Poliform North.

For info the bikes are still available to view in Harrogate for a few more days !

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_img_1661 (1).jpg
    rsz_1rsz_img_1661 (1).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,048
Re:

What a great piece of history you have there, and it's so great to see historic bikes which were ridden by teams that inspired a generation are restored, preserved and put on show for posterity. The Banana team in particular is pretty iconic of the era for me, so I'll never tire of seeing these threads. :)

I remember having cable TV back then and there was a channel that regularly had music playing to a side view video of a Raleigh Banana rider out on his bike, constantly on loop, anyone remember that? Might have been discovery channel or something like that; I never knew who the rider was.

Speechless

An amazing piece of history, restored for future generations

Hat off to you

So I've been over to collect my bike from Harrogate, definitely a day for driving not riding !

I was very impressed with the display of vintage bikes that the guys put together, and the reception they put on the big day was amazing, I only wish I could have stayed longer. I never imagined Brian Robinson would be one of the cycling casualties during le Tour (Get Well Soon BR!)

As promised here's a selection of pics.

Attachments

• photo 4 (2).JPG
    photo 4 (2).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 961
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 961
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 960
  • photo (17).JPG