1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

So, of the stories I recall from last Saturday, it was lovely how keen the old team were to come and say hello. They gave the bike a (surprisingly) thorough examination, even checking that the bottom bracket was stamped properly - it seems I got the details right!

Tim Harris explained that he'd won the national championship in '89 on 'my' bike - as Dave had lent it to him. (anyone got a pic?).

Chris Walker pretended to run the rest of the guys over, claiming to be pulling the brakes on as hard as he could ! It was clear that they loved the bikes, but didn't get on with the SGRs or the Deltas.

While I was talking with Steve Douce, a young lady came and asked why there was a group of us, stood around this 'old bike' - Steve, just looked up, and politely whispered "it's Dave's bike" - all in good humour.

Of course the highlight was the warm welcome from all, but notably Dave's father John, and his brother Gary.

And I didnt forget to get Olivia, Dan Martin's autograph :)

Does anyone have any experience swapping out the brake blocks on Deltas for something 'better'.

I've convinced myself that they did use to work better than they do these days, and that perhaps the blocks themselves, while themselves NOS a few years back have hardened - either way I'd like to try swapping the blocks out for something else.

Of course I'll be keeping the old ones for show, so it'd be handy if I could get some guidance on which shoe/pad combo fit ?

Id try something like these sold from the UK on ebay, only a quick search mind you but those who could in the 80's put SCOTT-MATHAUSER pads on our campag brakes, not too pricey here either. I do however think that it might be also be the deltas themselves that could be the issue, they look ace but earlier generations in particular we not as powerful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YOKOZUNA-SCOT ... 20dd342e6f

Cheers Darren

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
In the same vein as above, I wanted to improve the shifting of the synchro levers - and by removing this springs that do the indexing I've converted them to friction only. Pretty straight forward to do, probably much harder to put them back !

My man in the know tells me that after a month with the indexing, the race team reverted to friction.

Obviously I've not ridden the bike today, but it feels better already.

I did that on my Bottecchia much better, campags first attempt at indexing really quite poor, I'm being kind there!

Absolutely - but on the basis a team mechanic with full manufacturer backup couldn't get it to a workable standard I don't feel too bad about.

One of the things I always liked about this bike was the ability with a slight tweak to the shifters to get it just right, and the fact it wasn't easy made it slightly more involving...

Maybe it's just me?

Back