1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Re:

Thanks Finney1973 that's a great shout.

There's also an interesting podcast that Rouleur recorded, which is an incredible insight into the good work of the Dave Rayner fund, I knew that young riders appreciated the funding, but hadn't thought how much kudos comes with being a "Dave Rayner funded" rider.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the ... 0088?mt=2#

(should be top of the list - let me know if the link doesn't work)

There's a lot to his legacy, far more than just a pro bike rider, that is plainly clear from the magazine article and agreed; the amount of young riders who have benefited isn't to be underestimated. A story & legacy worth telling that is for sure.

Re:

"It's not a museum piece"

I've insisted throughout that this bikes to be ridden - as good as it looked on display, this is no garage queen (largely because it takes pride of place in my home office).

So with an hour to myself on a quiet friday lunchtime, I've been out for a ride. Changing the Delta blocks this summer to 'newer' ones had eliminated the 'squeal' and regained my confidence in them - they do hurt your hands, but they do, contrary to popular opinion stop, not as well as a modern dual pivot, but well enough.

Running 90psi in a period 19mm tub, makes you pretty careful where you place your wheels, but I need not have worried - only two minor tweaks were needed today. I managed to ship the chain (extra half turn put on the upper limit now) which as I freewheeled to a stop had the two highest gear wind themselves out of the freewheel.

Secondly the front derailleur shifter just kept slowly returning to the slack position, campagnolos now slightly rusty metal washer being replaced with a small effective rubber one and we're back in business.

I've seen some negative points made about people who choose to wear full pro kit (typically Sky) to ride their bikes - it doesn't really bother me what other people do, but it does seem 'right' to wear a RB top - and my recently purchased RB shorts thanks to my Mum for her sewing machine skills - I stuck with a modern helmet, and avoided the Raleigh Banana head band

I did have a bit of a worry after a set of traffic lights, when a car pulled alongside and the window wound down ominously, only for the driver to shout "nice bike mate".... phew!

A long shot I know - but does anyone on here have contact details for the legendary Mario Cipollini ?

John Rayner, Dave's father is hoping to invite him to attend this year's Dave Rayner Fund dinner. Dave & Cipo were team mates back in '84 for G.S.Porcari-Fanini-Berti.

It's the 20 year anniversary this year, hence John's request...

By all means PM them rather than posting them, happy to share John's contact details if that would help.

citrixccea":35h5m8sv said:
A long shot I know - but does anyone on here have contact details for the legendary Mario Cipollini ?

John Rayner, Dave's father is hoping to invite him to attend this year's Dave Rayner Fund dinner. Dave & Cipo were team mates back in '84 for G.S.Porcari-Fanini-Berti.

It's the 20 year anniversary this year, hence John's request...

By all means PM them rather than posting them, happy to share John's contact details if that would help.

Through his bike company?

Thanks Paul, sorry "Ned" - John's been trying to track him down for some time, I'm sure he's checked out the more obvious routes, but I will ask the question...

Just a quick plug guys - the 20th annual Dave Rayner Fund dinner is on Saturday November the 8th at the Royal Armouries in Leeds

http://www.daveraynerfund.co.uk/dinner/

I'd encourage you to come - not just because you get to support the fund (which has paid £600,000 to young riders in grants over the 20 years) but because it's a cracking night, expect to talk cycling all night with like minded folk, and you'll meet some of cyclings legends. This years guests include David Millar, Lizzie Armistead and Ben Swift.

For £50 it's sensible money, with accommodation available

Of course if you do sign up, let me know, I'll be the one with the 'old bike' :) It'd be nice to have a table of retro-bikers

There's a very interesting article on the Dave Rayner Fund in this weeks Cycling Weekly (9/10/14) that gives a real insight into the way the DRF provides an alternative to the GB Cycling's track focussed scheme. Funding for more than 200 riders over 20 years, and the differences between Adam & Simon Yates paths into the pro peleton. It's well worth a read.

Also in there is also a photo that I've never seen before. You'll find it below - it seems to confirm that the 'punt' I took with the white on black Campagnolo Equipped Script, that Nick from H Lloyd made for me on the N/S chainstay was bang on. Not bad for a bit of guess work :)

Apologies for the scan, it goes over the page, and its not printed at the highest quality
(if anyone gets the digital edition feel free to post a better copy)

Attachments

• IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,310
It's been a while.....

Apologies I've not updated this thread in a while.

It's been a turbulent time in my private life, which has actually meant far more cycling, and frankly it's done me a world of good. Aside from grasping the nettle and buying myself a decent FS MTB, which I took on an epic trip to the Rockies, I've been wearing components in on my modern road bike. I've not ridden the banana in a while. I'm always on the look out for opportunities to get it out and give it a blast, but they seem to be few and far between. One event I should have flagged up was the Oundle Classic Bike Event last year, which aside from being expertly run, and filled with some lovely like minded folks - "we" won. Normally I'd only reference the bike but I did make the effort and went for it with the team kit, I won a bag of goodies including a book that I'd already been bought, well with the welcome and friendship I've had from John Rayner (Dave's dad) there was nowhere else it could have gone, and John was delighted to benefit from the smallest victory his son's bike had ever had! As the girls have been growing up there's less and less space for bikes, as I'd changed things around a little at home I took the opportunity to convert my dining room into a proper study, as I work from home - and I was inspired by the design museum in London.

So to sign off for now, please flag up vintage bike events, ones on proper roads, no offence but l'eroica isn't for me - this is an 80's bike that will never drop back to exposed brake cables and clips and straps to meet with "the rules".

Back