1988 Peugeot US Express

I owned this Peugeot model in the late eighties/early nineties. I was given to me by my neighour. :) He didn't use the bike anymore. Nice to see some photos of this model again!

The bike wasn't of high quality. At some point i even broke a rear brake mount on the frame while mountain biking. So don't brake to hard with this bike! :D

Bart,
Sure it's a '89
The decal "flames" are the same as the racing bikes in the '89 French cataloque.

Tommy

It looks very similar to my Sahara which is believed to be an '89. Same logo style, mostly similar components and the direct brazing. Mine is labelled as an HLE Mangalloy though rather than chromoly like yours.
Also AFAIK mine is a Halfords special for Britain and doesn't appear in the catalogues whereas the US Express does.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

1989_Peugeot_12.jpg

The Sahara is an '88, it was intended to be my first MTB after saving for 8 months but I ended up with a Raleigh Maverick GT. The Sahara was sold in Halfords of all places and wasn't a standard Peugeot catalogue bike. It was also higher up the range than the US Express (and it's UK equivalent) as it had 18 gears and Alloy Rims with Q/R.
I think the US Express is equivalent to the UK Alpina (which was again sold in Halfords and Catalogues not Cycle Shops) which had a similar HLE frame, but the Lee-Chi brake levers, crowned forks, friction (racthet) shifters, steel rims and 15 gears. it was one up from the Ranger and if your folks got you one over the Raleigh Mustang you'd done well!
The Alpina was Metallic Grey.

Carl.

drcarlos":vmgn63v0 said:
The Sahara is an '88, it was intended to be my first MTB after saving for 8 months but I ended up with a Raleigh Maverick GT. The Sahara was sold in Halfords of all places and wasn't a standard Peugeot catalogue bike. It was also higher up the range than the US Express (and it's UK equivalent) as it had 18 gears and Alloy Rims with Q/R.
I think the US Express is equivalent to the UK Alpina (which was again sold in Halfords and Catalogues not Cycle Shops) which had a similar HLE frame, but the Lee-Chi brake levers, crowned forks, friction (racthet) shifters, steel rims and 15 gears. it was one up from the Ranger and if your folks got you one over the Raleigh Mustang you'd done well!

Carl.

Thanks Carl! I think you're spot on! You are right about the components! So you think it's from 1988 as well?

Cheers,
Bart

stumpjumper1990":3jh5jhlq said:
drcarlos":3jh5jhlq said:

Carl.

Thanks Carl! I think you're spot on! You are right about the components! So you think it's from 1988 as well?

Cheers,
Bart

Reckon so, I think Tourney came along in '89 towards the end anyway and low end Shimano SIS and these bikes with ratchet friction shifters and Sachs mechs started to change to the big S never to be seen again.
I know pete hates bikes like this but they were ridden by me and my friends and thrashed to within an inch of their lives daily and usually never let us down. They bring back great memories.

Carl.

AutoCAD and other CAD packages have been around since the early 80's (82 for AutoCAD) so the stickers could well be from the right period.

I remember playing with a CAD/CAM package at Ricardos Engineering in Shoreham when I did my work experience in 1986.

Back