1988 Bradbury Manitou (finished pics page 12!)

Re: 1988 Bradbury Manitou restoration (reunited 25 years later)

For all you stat lovers:
weight of frame and fork: 6.5 lb
head angle: 71 deg
seat angle: 74 deg
seat tube: 18.5"
top tube: 23" (23.5" effective)
chain stay: 16.5"
head tube: 7" (!)
b.b. height: 12"
wheelbase: 42.5"

One of the main inovations of the early Manitous was the wide dropout spacing (115mm front, 145mm rear), custom hubs and asymmetrical rear triangle:

It was a stretch for me to afford the frame to begin with, so I opted for standard spacing (100/130), which would save money on the build, and allow me to use my existing wheels. Crazy to think of now, as it really wasn't that much more money to add his signature innovation, but back then it was a difference maker. Perhaps that makes this Manitou even more unique?

Attachments

• ManitouPage3 cropped for spacing.jpg
    ManitouPage3 cropped for spacing.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 745
Re:

Great story. Would love to see a pic of the Team Comp too if you have any, shame it got stolen.

"One of the main inovations of the early Manitous was the wide dropout spacing (115mm front, 145mm rear), custom hubs and asymmetrical rear triangle:"
I read that Cannondale is going to do something like this on their new bikes in order to get a zero offset rear dished wheel. (faffing on about what a great innovation it is... yeah right, Manitou did it back in 1988!) Too bad this idea didn't catch on seems like a good one.
Awesome re-find! Glad you tracked down your old bike. Will follow the re-build.

Nevr Dull is amazing stuff. I've spent hours polishing her back to life, but the results are worth it.

Getting there...

Attachments

• down tube(resized).jpg
    down tube(resized).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 714
  • down tube polished (resized).jpg
    down tube polished (resized).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 713
  • seat tube junction polished (resized).jpg
    seat tube junction polished (resized).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 714
  • frame polished(resized).jpg
    frame polished(resized).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 715

The Bradbury forks are so killer, but unfortunately when I got them back the paint was badly scratched up.

The fork crown originally had steel caps covering the legs, no idea where those got to...

I had read somewhere that Doug Bradbury spray painted his forks himself, so I figured I could do the same (though I hate the idea of removing Doug's handiwork). A friend of mine stripped the legs down to bare steel. The brazing work around the dropouts is hardcore, he put so much time into each set of these forks!

Attachments

• forks (resized).jpg
    forks (resized).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 700
  • fork dropouts before (resized).jpg
    fork dropouts before (resized).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 700
  • forks missing caps (resized).jpg
    forks missing caps (resized).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 699
  • forks stripped dropouts brazing(resized).jpg
    forks stripped dropouts brazing(resized).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 699
  • forks stripped workbench (resized).jpg
    forks stripped workbench (resized).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 699
  • fork crown (resized).jpg
    fork crown (resized).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 695

This is fantastic industrial chic!

Bullpup":28lgk67u said:
This is fantastic industrial chic!

Thats one way to describe those welds :LOL:

That said they more than did the job and TBH Dougs earlier work has stood the test of time far better than the light weight verson(s) that were being knocked out when Answer came on the scene,

I've an uncracked FS but thats only due to the fact its never been ridden, unlike this one which appears to have seen some action over a good number of years before eventually being retired

I can't imagine what it must be like being reunited again after all these years.... I guess its like getting back with your 1st girl friend and getting to know each other all over again :LOL:
(if only girl friend re-juvination was as cheap as a tub of "Nevr Dull" and some spray paint :roll:)

I'm guessing the bike has stood the test of time better than my first girlfriend. ;)

Oh its been ridden all right. I remember bending the forks in the first couple months of having the bike. Back then, you didn't loft off drops like you do nowadays with full suspension, you picked the best line, slid your keester off the back end of the saddle, and hoped there was a smooth-ish transition at the bottom. Riding my favorite trails with the tall head tube was harrowing, and I ended up bending the fork legs back on a particularly steep (but short) rock wall descent. Thankfully Doug replaced them no questions asked!

The frame has a good number of small dents, particularly on the top tube. As I was cleaning the frame I kept waiting to find a hairline crack, but none to be found!

The frame was retired when a previous owner wanted to 'upgrade' the original rigid fork with a suspension replacement. But with the tall head tube and 1" diameter, it was impossible to find one suitable. That stalled things out, and the bike was eventually stripped of its parts, the frame stashed away as a museum piece of sorts for eventual wall art. Fifteen years spent in the dark...

Back