For Sale 1987 Raleigh 531C Frame & Forks Type 8802

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
As per title - solid frame with some marks as your expect from something approaching 40 years old

This is 23.5”

Interesting the stays and fork blades are 531 Pro. Not a run of the mill frame as it has Cinelli BB and seat cluster

Too large unfortunately so has to go.

Looking for £75 plus postage if required

IMG_3988.png IMG_3972.jpeg IMG_3975.jpeg IMG_3984.jpeg IMG_3977.jpeg

Would it be acceptable to say that's sort of nearly up there with an SBDU frame, what with the Pro stays, Cinelli lugs etc? For 75 bleeding quid?! I don't need it, although it fits, and have wheels and most parts.... but agree with Guiness - that's really swish.

I had one of these back in the day , bought from a Raleigh dealer

Definitely not SBDU or anything like it, it was mass produced but used quality fittings such as cinelli cast BB shell and seat lug.

If I'm honest, it was probably the best frame I owned in my racing "career". I bought it new as a second bike to use when the weather wasn't so good, to 'save' my colnago master. And it handled so much better than the colnago and was about 2kg lighter. I built it up with a 2x7 6400 tricolour groupset and with clinchers it weighed under 20lbs, which, unless you rode alloy or carbon was a light bike. I kept it after I stopped racing, but had to bin it after an altercation with a car bent it beyond economic repair. After that, I gave up on Italian exotica and custom frames.

What didn't I like ... Well, it was no poser's machine if that matters and the blow holes in the forks and stays were quite large and it would constantly whistle when riding above 20mph. So much so, that I eventually swapped the fork for something else

I don't know how Raleigh did this, but despite it being predominantly white, dirt just seemed to wash off it, so it never looked scruffy and I'm no fastidious bike cleaner

I also had the exact same frame, it was my first serious racing machine, bought new from my local bike shop back in 1987. I was 15 at the time & had to save for much of the winter months from my Sunday newspaper delivery job to fund it. It would ride to the bike shop every few weeks & pay off a little bit at a time. The price was £185!

I would echo what Pigman has said about their ride quality. I rode & raced mine for many thousands of miles as a fit youngster & it never let me down. I still own it, albeit with a Mercian respray, but whenever I ride it I am reminded of how lightweight & comfortable the frame is. I reckon its a perfect frame for long days in the saddle.

I got around the holes in the frame/forks by mixing some araldite glue with some colour matched airfix paint & filling them. It's easy enough to remove it again should you want to insert frame saver or some other anti-rust product.

Back