1985 ridgeback mtb advice needed - headset

i've taken headset apart, cleaned and regreased - the inside area - sorry not sure how to describe - where the bearings run, is very pitted, not a smooth surface for the bearings to run along - if that makes sense. I have re-assembled it and it feels rough nu matter how I adjust it. I will leave headset in and see how it goes I guess

Re:

LGF what have you done !

I fear you may have woken a sleeping giant ( GJW ) and filled him with a terrible resolve - ( Yamamoto after Pearl Harbour )

I will lose the will to live if we have to have the ' first MTB ' discussion again . This subject has been repeated ad nauseam !

Re: Re:

focomat 1c":1ilezce6 said:
LGF what have you done !

I fear you may have woken a sleeping giant ( GJW ) and filled him with a terrible resolve - ( Yamamoto after Pearl Harbour )

I will lose the will to live if we have to have the ' first MTB ' discussion again . This subject has been repeated ad nauseam !

The internet is great at getting things so terribly wrong (see anti vaxxers, fake news) I just thought it would be better to leave a footprint of correct information rather than the vagaries of what search engine algorithms see fit to put first in internet searches.

threaded headsets seem to have made a bit of a comeback so there appears to be more available than a few years ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... sacat=7294

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
hosepipe":3je7hqwe said:
i've taken headset apart, cleaned and regreased - the inside area - sorry not sure how to describe - where the bearings run, is very pitted, not a smooth surface for the bearings to run along - if that makes sense. I have re-assembled it and it feels rough nu matter how I adjust it. I will leave headset in and see how it goes I guess

New (individual) balls to replace the original caged ball race will help ... but if the cups are worn it may always be a bit rough.

Re:

Lovely old thing.

Whereabouts are you Hosepipe? I narrowly missed out on one like that in a shop in Hove a few years ago. Reserved it, went back with some money and another member of staff hadn't been told and sold it! Can't be many about.

Plenty more fish in the sea though.

Back