1984 Stumpjumper wants to be 1x11 but doesn't know how

Re:

If you're happy to go with an 11-40 cassette instead of the 10-42 then you can go Shimano 11sp, which fits on a standard 8/9/10sp freehub rather than needing the sram-specific XD-driver. XT has just been released which means SLX won't be far behind, and considering you can do a complete new XT 1x11 setup for a little over £300 (minus wheels) then SLX will be even more competitive on price.

Best choice for chainring is one of the generic narrow/wide rings from the likes of Hope or Superstar, but they're all 4bolt 104PCD so you might need new cranks.

A basic set of modern wheels with rim brake rims can be had on eBay easily enough with a standard freehub, less so with an XD-driver.

Re:

A decent framebuilder should be able to reset the rear spacing to 135mm; failing that, road 8/9/10sp hubs are 130mm OLD.

Too much is read into moving stays 2.5mm each side. It can usually be done by hand, but...

You have to watch the clearance between the last cog and the dropout. They can sometimes foul each other.

Re: Re:

sfsam":sve0tl8b said:
Gruff":sve0tl8b said:
Can i ask why? if it's going to give you a similar range to what it already has why got to all that bother.
Just ride it and enjoy a lovely old bike
:D

Indeed it is a lovely bike, but in the last 30 years we've made improvements to how we do things. They don't sell 3x5's with friction shifters anymore for good reason.

The 1x setup has no redundant gears, index shifting, no possibility of cross chaining, is simpler to operate with a single shifter, and has less hardware to maintain. In exchange for these advantages, I give up no range of gearing. I am not doing it to save a few grams or to adopt the latest fashion, but rather to increase my enjoyment of riding my bike. I think 1x is a good idea. And worst case, I can always change it back. Bikes are fun to tinker with as well as ride. :)

Bringing this wonderful old frame into the present seems like a good thing to me. Now to figure out how to do it... :shock:
Then stick to modern bikes no? Its like buying a classic car and putting a ecu in it? Don't get it sorry. An 84 stumpy should be enjoyed for what it was. Its a rarity and if you don't like it move it on and let a true enthusiast enjoy it?

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":hrz5to47 said:
If you're happy to go with an 11-40 cassette instead of the 10-42 then you can go Shimano 11sp, which fits on a standard 8/9/10sp freehub rather than needing the sram-specific XD-driver. XT has just been released which means SLX won't be far behind, and considering you can do a complete new XT 1x11 setup for a little over £300 (minus wheels) then SLX will be even more competitive on price.

Best choice for chainring is one of the generic narrow/wide rings from the likes of Hope or Superstar, but they're all 4bolt 104PCD so you might need new cranks.

A basic set of modern wheels with rim brake rims can be had on eBay easily enough with a standard freehub, less so with an XD-driver.

Thanks, GradeA. This is very helpful.

Re:

Remember as well that Shimano do their Touring range - XT is T780 code - which has non-disc hubs and V-brakes. Mavic still do the XC717 and XM719 rims in rim-brake flavour too, so you're not stuck looking at low-end kit.

Just had a look and Shimano do have an 11-42 11sp XT cassette after all. The reason SRAM created the XD-driver is so they can have the 10T sprocket, as standard freehubs won't allow anything smaller than 11T.

If you can cope with only a 36T low gear, then consider going 1x10 as you'll save quite a bit over 1X11. I run a 32T narrow/wide with an 11-36 10sp cassette and it's only my legs that stop me getting up stuff! You can add a range extender sprocket to 10sp to give you either a 40T or 42T but then you might as well go 11sp.

Nothing wrong with running brand new components on a much-loved old frame IMO; it's your bike to enjoy how you want!

Re:

People do fit ford zetec (modern) engines to mgb (classic/retro/old) cars.

Id personally stick with 3xN gears but i wouldnt slap you in the face if you went 1xN.

Why not just go 1 x 9 on a 130mm spaced road hub or older mtb hub. You can get 12-36T 9 speed cassettes. That way its only 2mm resetting of either dropout. Not sure the benefit of 1 x 11 other than the show off fact that you did it.
As for 3 x 5 being only available with friction thumbies, thats not true. Modern indexed thumbies from Sun Race exist and quality 5 speed freewheels still exist. You can have modern precision shifting on old kit if you want it.

velomaniac":1znxkghn said:
Why not just go 1 x 9 on a 130mm spaced road hub or older mtb hub. You can get 12-36T 9 speed cassettes. That way its only 2mm resetting of either dropout. Not sure the benefit of 1 x 11 other than the show off fact that you did it.

Interesting. I'm not married to the idea of 11 gears in back specifically, but rather to the benefits I mentioned up-thread over what I currently have. As GradeA pointed out, 10 might work too and has it's own benefits. I'm learning so I appreciate these ideas.

I thought I would have to go to 135mm spacing. Are there 26" wheels with 130mm hubs? And do you have any recommendations of specific models of hubs/cassettes/rims/shifters that are of good quality that I could investigate?

Re:

Many of the original shimano mtb freehubs were developed alongside or derived from road hubs. With that in mind a good quality road hub of today spaced for 130mm would probably be more than fine unless your planning to land the bike from height on a regular basis. Alternatively just respace a mtb hub with a shorter axle and get that built into a new wheel. Modern mtb freehubs are just tougher than the past but most riders found the old stuff more than tough enough . I'd go for Shimano hubs say at Tiagra or Ultegra level of road bike equipment or XT from the mtb camp.

Back