1x vs 3x: The Maths

no more trying to change gears at both ends to get in the right gear when coming round the corner to find a steep climb
Is this really an issue for anyone though? If I want a small step down, right shifter. Bigger step down, left shifter. I know what will happen if I hit both in sequence too. Shift down on the left and up on the right is like a half shift. What do you do for half shifts? It is amazing that marketing was so successful selling less gears as more.

Sram did not want to pay for Shimano's patent on the front derailleur, and they were unable to develop a good one of their own. Therefore, they developed 1x gearing. That is why we are here now.

I don't have proof of this, but am willing to start a bike convoy protest at SRAM headquarters if anyone is game

I know what will happen if I hit both in sequence too.

Yeah, a snapped chain. 😅😄

Look, I accept that you may not benefit from the advantages, but I firmly believe the majority of mtb ers do, especially beginners. Not everyone has 30 years of riding. I used to and still can shift both ways, but I prefer the simplicity of a single ring and if you are new to the sport it make sense to have one shifter to do it all. On road the half shift you talk about can be advantageous to keep a perfect cadence, but properly off road you’re not holding a perfect cadence. You’re pedalling, coasting and half stroking all the time.

Yes, I may have less gears combos but all 12 of mine are usable. On a 3x9 you have 9 in the middle and maybe 3 in each of the other rings that you can use. That’s 15 and some of them will be duplicate ratios or so close you couldn’t tell the difference.

Also, I’ve done 1000’s of miles on SRAM front mechs and never had any issues.

It is amazing that marketing was so successful selling less gears as more

Singlespeeders have been doing that for decades 😃

On road the half shift you talk about can be advantageous to keep a perfect cadence, but properly off road you’re not holding a perfect cadence.
You are correct. My bike is set up for All Terrains, not just mountain biking. It is more useful that way.

9 speed XT cassette £69.99

12 speed NX cassette to fit the same freehub £61,99

Eh?
NX is/was Deore territory not XT, you can pick up wide range cheaper 9 speed cassette for much cheaper that that, nice to see my stash of M770 @~£20 cassette are worth quite a bit now.

Although I don't actually know what the argument is :D

3x is better than 1x

1x is simpler than 3x

Some like simple
Some like efficiency

Thread solved

Back