1982 Raleigh Record Ace - A Fixed Gear Dirt Tourer

I realized that the toptube is actually more thann an inch higher (34") than my inseam (32.5") which made it bit scary in the woods and more so difficult to get on the bike. One could argue the frame might be to big for me...

The common thinking in the 1980s when purchasing a racer, was that the rider will soon grow into it! 😄

Other ideas for tents include UK brand Blacks: 'Good Companion' or 'Tinker'.
My father was canoeing all over Europe in the 1950s - they also used a lot of WW2 surplus kit, his favourite being an old US Marines solo tent.

....oh and do put your ride up in the Retrobike Touring thread in Retro MTB. Totally loving your bike...and now you have set me the challenge of doing an overnighter on my singlespeed!
32 years ago I camped in the woods in Brandenberg, it must be a great place to explore by bike.

Cool looking bike, I missed this first time round.

I think your frame size is probably correct given how you’re using it. Assuming it’s comfortable the way you have it set up, if you went for a smaller frame you’d end up having to pull your stem right out to get the bars in the same position.

Thanks you all!

While I am currently building a modern and geared dropbar ATB (Tanglefoot Moonshiner) I hope to find some time for another overnighter on the Raleigh this year.

@hamster : I recently checked ebay.co.uk looking for some tents from Blacks and they do exist but gettin them over here is probably not working out (at least not for a reasonable price).
Indeed Brandenburg is a great place for exploration: from small lakes, deep forests and long abandoned military sites, including an entitre Soviet town! there is a lot to see and find. When I was touring there back in the 90s I mostly was worried about boars and neo-nazis - today with some luck you even encounter some wolve packs and even an elk has settled north of Berlin. (the boars and nazis are still there but I am less worried about them). But, please do yourself the favour an use your singlespeed for touring :)

@Jonny69 : exaclty using a smaller frame I'd have to run a really long stem making everything more wobbly in the front. I have this crazy 0mm reach stem from Analog Cycles in Vermont:

IMG_20230703_141843.jpg

and I will try to get a nice fit (the cockpit might become to short in the end, but I've another stem like this coming over with 50mm).

Nevertheless, this fixed gear touring offers really some soul healing qualities to me.

Have a nice weekend!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Happy new year.

Some months ago I gifted the Raleigh to a friend but eventually I missed it and she (my friend) wants to build some GDR bike - so the Raleigh returned in a cold January night.

With a new stem I started to see where I can get the bike regarding fit and comfort.

Not sure about the bar options - classic dropbars are to narrow for my liking, test fitting a wider (in reality wide!) bar brought some good first impressions, but I can imagine to try some alt bars as well.

And keeping it with 700c or going back into the rabbit hole of a 650b conversion therapy is a question, still needs to be answered...

PXL_20240113_144701793.jpg

(I guess french fit does describe the setup quite nicely)

Back