1980s Somec Special (Finished 2)

escuta

Dirt Disciple
I started a thread on my Somec frame in the road forum last month, but it got deleted due to a hack, apparently. Have got bit further with the project and I'm basing the build, as closely as I can, on the Aelle framed bike in 1983 Somec Catalogue. Mine may well be a later model but I prefer the parts used in the 83 version to what I've seen in later catalogues. Will start with some clips from the 83 catalogue, then include photos that I've taken in chronological order. And will add more as the project develops.

somecAelle83.jpeg
Columbus Aelle frame 1983 catalogue

somecAelle83built.jpeg
83 build with mixed Gipiemme and Campagnolo parts

1689235341908.png
Parts table

myframe.jpeg
My frame

headset.jpeg

crank.jpeg

ReginaOro.jpeg

2023-10-23_05-52-58.jpg

Last edited:
That looks nice, and my size as well. I have a Somec Chromovelato from about 1989 and had it out for a couple of rides recently. These frames are pretty fantastic, stable and smooth.

They're all lovely bits and pieces. Should suit your build very well.
Thanks a lot. Well past the half-way point now. Looking forward to having the wheels built (found a pair of 80s Campagnolo Lambda tubular rims) and getting the frame up off the ground. :)

That will be a lovely bike. Somec's are very respected, and not as common as other brands , so yours will get some curious eyes onto it ;)

I own a "telaio 002" model from 1983 (columbus SL with Air fork) but can't help with the spokes as my rims are not the original ones (prev owner preferred a mavic clincher rim ;) . Just checked and now I have stainless steel spokes marked with an "M", so not the original Alpina ones , sorry.

Looking now at the Somec catalog it says your model went also with Alpina spokes originally, but it does not say if Zn plated or stainless. I'm also a fan of period correct bits as much as possible but I thing it is going to far to say your build must be with Zn plated instead of Stailness considering this model is from mid 80's. Without considering myself an expert, I'd say Stailess steel was pretty common by then.

I have original wheelsets from early 60's and even late 70's with magnetic spokes, but for your mid 80's build, If I were you I'd go with stainless steel. The cherry of of the cake will be though to get Alpina spokes ? ;)

Looking forward to see how your build is progressing!

Thanks @jordic1968. I've actually written to Alpina to see if they have any records of their "lisci" (smooth) model, which the 83 Special had. It will be interesting if they reply with anything concrete. I'm based in Brazil and the Alpina spokes that I've found have been prohibitively expensive. So I'll try try to emulate the lisci with something similar, if possible, and hopefully that something will be in stainless steel! Cheers,

Back