83 Stumpjumper Resto

HuskyDinoBomber

BoTM Winner
IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3676.JPG IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3691.JPG
Picked up this 83 Stumpjumper for a couple reasons
1. I got it for 20$ from metal recycling depot
2. it has the Araya rims I've been searching for to lace to my Sachs drum brakes for my klunker build
3. I love this particular Stumpjumper color, frame fork and components

The bad news for me is that the frame is 21 1/2" center to center with a 31 1/2" stand over height. My thoughts of "frames to big for me so I'll part it out" are quickly fading as I take it apart and clean it. My achilles heel is falling in love with bikes I find and intend to part out. I also don't need another project as they are starting to add up.

The seat post will be my biggest obstacle with moving forward. It is not budging at all. I'll stick to penetrating oil for a few days and get more aggressive as needed.

Reactions: CTK
I've got some araya rims that are very similar to that if you don't end up splitting it down

That must be a really rare bike and worth a few hundred restored?

thats got to be the best buy i have ever seen on Retrobike. Signed in for updates.. :cool:

The seat post will be my biggest obstacle with moving forward. It is not budging at all. I'll stick to penetrating oil for a few days and get more aggressive as needed.
If moving the seatpost while holding the bike is not possible, try the other way around. The longer lever effect should make it easier. But be careful to not twist any bike parts.

The intermediary solution would be to sacrificing a non valuable saddle in squeezing a long metal stick between it and the seatpost.

Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Back