1972 Peugeot PX50

anagrama":3ts0h1zx said:
Cool, thanks for the info - that shop looks amazing! The ones I had seen cost a fair bit more unfortunately..
You are welcome. If I happen to go to Tokyo next time, I make sure to buy a couple of sets and advertise here. :xmas-wink:

Great bike, I have the same one, problem is my back wheel is broken, what did you do with the old wheels?
(I can use both of them)

mathijs":l7qc1lkq said:
Great bike, I have the same one, problem is my back wheel is broken, what did you do with the old wheels?
(I can use both of them)
Thank you very much for your compliment and I am sorry to know about your back wheel.
I still have both wheels in storage and you can have them if you would like.
Peugeot-1960s-tourer-dets-lfgss.jpg

The condition is usable but not excellent.
Even I rode it only one time so I can't comment much about the condition.
Front is original but for the rear, the previous owner did repair.
As far as I can see, rim is original but hub is small flange (original large flange), and the 5spd free wheel is more like for road racing bike closed ratio type but I assume you can change it.
Please PM me if you want to know more details.

Its been a long long time. Since the last time I posted here, my PX50 had some updates I wanted to share..

I replaced the handlebar to drop (Sakae Radonneur Bars from Dawes touring bike) so as the brake levers with Dia-Compe guidonnett levers, because I don't use this bike for school runs anymore. The Brooks B15 saddle was in the end impractical because of the leather paint sticking to my pants as well as the saddle leather being too stiff (it was a two layers version). I came across neglected bargain B17 brown on the net and I renovated the leather with leather cleaner, leather lotion and leather barm, re-adjust the tension bolt then reshape the leather with belt to restore the shape. Bar tapes are Deda Elementi synthetic leather in brown and I think the colour complement the brooks saddle well.
DSC03141.jpeg

Michelin Balloon tyres were very good but just out of interest I tried Grand Bois Hetre 650 x 42B and I love it! Front and tail lights are now LED with battery. The black plastic plate near the headset is quick release attachment for front bag. However, it doesn't look very good and I am going to replace the bag with more traditional type soon..
DSC03143.jpeg

Pedals are again bargain Lyotard, renewed all the bearing balls and working great again. Cantilever brakes are not the strongest point of this bike. I have replaced the brake shoes with Kool Stop black version and I feel slightly safer than before!
DSC03147.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice, thanks for posting the update, you have also just added another bike to my wishlist as I already had an eye out for an A-08 the bike of my youth but have switched in an instant to wanting one of these as I have never owned a bike with 650B wheels and this looks very useable.

Very nice, thanks for posting the update, you have also just added another bike to my wishlist as I already had an eye out for an A-08 the bike of my youth but have switched in an instant to wanting one of these as I have never owned a bike with 650B wheels and this looks very useable.
Thank you very much for your kind words. I live in the suburb where I cycle on road with good tarmac and dirt cycle path. I can ride narrower tyres like 25-28c but need attention. For daily runabout, these 650B tyres are comfy and easy. Also in my youth, these French style touring bikes, randonneurs, were very popular and I couldn't resist not to have one! A-08 is an iconic model and I totally agree with your wishlist!

Back