Mystery Peugeot

Bertin did come up in my searches, and @torqueless may well be right. If you haven't done so already, check with "Bertinjim", who knows a lot about them. His weblog on Bertin is here. He can also be contacted via Bikeforums Classic & Vintage where he is a member: bertinjim's profile

I'll be honest- almost anything I know about Bertins comes from Jim's site- and with the proviso that I don't know whether the features that suggest to me that this is a Bertin are unique to Bertin, or were widespread among French builders.. here is the evidence:
1)Bertins are documented as having been routinely built with Reynolds frame tubes matched with Vitus fork blades. OP said the forks were Vitus, and showed us a frame tube stamped 'butted' in an earlier thread, which is almost certainly Reynolds*. I don't think that English word would get stamped into a French or Italian tube, although I'm happy to be corrected on that point.
2)Bertin seem to have been big on Prugnat 62s for some time.
3)Bertin seem to have foregone the practice of stamping serial numbers on their frames for some time.
4) There is a photo of a Bertin C34 'cross in the gallery at Jim's site which has just this same internal front brake cable routing. Unfortunately it's not a very sharp photo and the frame is black- severely compromising recognition of other features- lugs etc.

*I can show the "REYNOLDS BUTTED 16/13" stamped into my steering column if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Thank you torqueless, great information. I have tried to send an email to Jim via the Bikeforums Classic & Vintage forum. I'm not sure if the email was accepted though, I got a message from the 'system' saying there was a restriction for people with less than 10 postings. I'll give it a couple of days and in the meantime up my usage on that forum :)
I really just want to be in a position to make the right call on whether the bike warrants significant investment, if it does I'm more than happy to do so, if not I'll enjoy riding it just as much I'm sure.

I got a message from the 'system' saying there was a restriction for people with less than 10 postings. I'll give it a couple of days and in the meantime up my usage on that forum :)

That is an anti-spam measure, which seems to work well as such, but it is somewhat annoying for new members.

What you can do is create a photo album there (under "Gallery") and upload your pictures. Start a thread on the bike and mention you have done so, and another member is sure to post the pictures for you. And if Bertin is mentioned someone will probably page Jim as well. :)

Look forward to seeing you there!

You could also try PMing bduc61 on here, our (erstwhile?) resident Frenchman- dunno if he's still around.. he has some great threads on French stuff, back in the archives too..🙂

Back