1969 Pat Hanlon Criterium

Looks like this has totally crimp-free chainstays? You know, no 'dents' introduced to them for wheel or chainring clearance.. Does it also have a 120mm rear end and 65mm bracket-shell? and full wrap-over seat stays?

No crimps in the chain stays, 120mm, not sure about the BB shell and semi wrap-over seat stays (although according to the '67 catalogue full wrap-over stays were an option at 10/-)

semi wrap-over seat stays
Something like this?
002.JPG

If so, this frame is very similar stylistically to my mystery putative 1975 frame- Pretty tight road geometry without being extreme, crimpless chainstays, same fork crown, originally 120/65mm rear end/bracket, Campag. Pista-friendly stack height..
I'm interested in what would have been the intended use of frames in this configuration, (not being quite old enough to know from first-hand)- Is it a Time Trial configuration from just before they went all ultra short wheelbase/close clearance? I guess if they were out and out road frames, they would have been built to accommodate a 6-block, Strada headset and bracket?

Now that's a nice looking frame! Tell us more.

I assume from the name that the configuration of mine is for criterium races; short races around town streets. They are typically light agile machines with a high BB to give maximum clearance in cornering. I guess there will be others here that know more about this than me and to be honest if you google it you will be as expert as I am!

That's an interesting comment about the headset, and the earlier comment too. I have just fitted a Mirage headset and there was very little space and I only managed a couple of turns on the locknut. I fitted a £10 Genetic Cranium first off which with hindsight was a better fit - but I didn't realise it needed a low stack height set until I fitted the Mirage. I thought at the time this looks as if it needs a Pista. But of course they are Very Rare and cost £250 so I'll look out for something a little more appropriate and at the same time less spendy.

I have tried to fit a six-speed block but it wasn't having any of it! So I have been running it with a 5 speed 16-20 block, which is OK where I am (it's flattish) but you do need to wind the speed up and keep it there; which is fine by me! I have fitted a 14-26 or something for riding in mixed company though.

I guess I should do a thread with some pictures.. until then, most of the dope on my frame is in these two threads:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=223812&hilit=ken+ryall[url] http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155079&hilit=stan+pike&start=20[/url]
Can you believe I overlooked the word; 'criterium' in the thread title?
TBH the bracket doesn't look particularly high on the Pat Hanlon, and neither is it on my frame, (10 3/8"?) but apart from that, yeah, it makes sense that these are criterium machines- almost a sort of road/track hybrid.

Judging from your pictures, the crown race on that headset is pretty heavy duty- a lighter one could give you another couple of mm. of useable steerer thread, or failing that, IIRC Campag. Gransport headsets are also of a Pista-ish stack height? The Pista crown race is a slip of a thing compared to the Strada.

I used an early '80s Suntour winner 13-22 'compact-6' block on my frame- supposedly 'six in the space of five', which I guess is nowhere near as cramped as 'eleven in the space of six', or whatever they are up to, these days... :? :)

I used to go on little tours around the lightweight outlets in North London area in the second half of the '70s, so I remember visiting Pat Hanlon's little shop, along with those of Don Farrell, Birds of Colindale, Whiskers, Shorter..

Re:

Hanlon by JuanM58, on Flickr

An update on my Pat Hanlon project. The bike is pretty much complete but needs a little more fettling before completion. I had a bit of a problem with the brake levers; I had a par of NOS Campag something lined up for this but once fitted it becamme apparent that these were of the aero type, despite having holes to take the cables for non-aero; whatever, it didn't work and these have gone back in the parts box. I bought a pair of CLB levers (Sulky I think) from Ebay, these cleaned up nicely and actually feel pretty good to use. I had originally tried to fit a pair of Dia Compe hoods...which split, so I replaced these with a pair of Cane Creek hoods which are a little more generous. A little too generous if anything, but there seem to be few options for non-aero hoods out there. I am currently running on Mavic/Gipiemme wheels courtesy of Cheesedisease which feel pretty nice although the tyres may be a little too chunky, we'll see. I'll post the full spec once I have settled everything down.

The snap above was taken during a brief 10 mile run late this afternoon.

good work martin . the paintwork especially the decals and badges have totally transformed it . was it mercian
who did the paint ?

Re:

The paint was by Paintbox Mobile near Canterbury; he mainly paints cars so I think that the green is a Peugeot colour. The head and seat tube decals are from Velocals; I managed to get hold of some original varnish fix transfers for the down tube but unfortunately these broke up when applied, probably because as they were about 40 years old. Jim at Paintbox managed to get some vinyl decals made up using the original transfers as a pattern; a good revovery and I am very pleased with the final result.

i dont trust those vinyl stickers unless lacquered over.
i m still looking for a place which does a good waterprof stickr or perhaps i could tape over the single vinyl letters
with water proof sellotape ?? then i could wash away to my hearts content.

Hi all
I have really enjoyed reading this forum as well as this history of Pat Hanlon. I'm not an amateur cyclist nor indeed do I pretend to know what I'm talking about with regards to these retro bikes. What I would like is for my Pat Hanlon to go to a home where I know she would be appreciated. I acquired the bike when my dad moved to Dorset from London (he used to use it to cycle to work when the weather was good). I would love to post pictures of it but I don't know how to on this site? I tried to attach photo straight from my iPad but it said that the file was too big?? (Help please). I have neither the time or know how to do the bike up so I will be selling it via EBay at end of month. It's frame number is 14070 I hope she could be your next project, she is entirely original apart from a Sanmarco Rolls seat I brought for my dad (mid 80's) to replace the ? brooks seat it had. My father also had it resprayed blue from its original black and white (sadly), hoping for help and advice.

Back