1963 Falcon San Remo - finally finished and I quite like it!

slarge

Dirt Disciple
I finally finished my 1963 Falcon San Remo (it's the standard San Remo not the Equipe). Thus 531 butted tubing (not double butted). I bought it on ebay a few years ago from a guy in Walsall who owned it since he was 17. He bought it 2nd hand in 1968 from Bob Mansell cycle shop in Walsall, after lusting after it in the shop window. Sounds like he loved it when he was riding in the 60's and 70's, but hadn't used it for many years. Scroll forward and I bought a dilapidated orange Falcon looking a bit sorry for itself.
Rechromed front lugs, respray (by me - almost perfect even if I say so myself!), convert to period Campagnolo Gran Sport 2 x 5 gears (was a steel Williams crank 1x5 setup before). Rebuilt the wheels with new spokes but kept the original tub rims and Atom/Ofmega hubs, and the original Weinmann centre pull brakes were polished up. A period saddle upgrade (to a more racey Brooks saddle) and Leotard pedals and it's ready to go.
Around me are a few places clearly named after the bicycle company, so it seemed sensible to have a tour of those on it's first proper ride.
Plus it's also been out to the Commonwealth Games road race in Warwick last weekend where it was admired by quite a few people.
20220717_152033.jpg 20220717_151930 (1).jpg 20220717_154825.jpg

In reality it's too big for me. It's a 22inch frame and I am 5'7" - a 20-21" frame would have been much better. But it looks good and it was the fashion to have a large framed bike and much less visible seat post (seat pin?). Downtube shifters are going to take some getting used to, and I need to sort 5th gear out - the chain is skipping so it's either worn or needs some adjustment, but it is really nice to ride with it's tubs and 531 frame.
Next steps are a period bottle cage and maybe toe clips - these would allow longer and more efficient rides, however then I am going down the rabbit hole of period shoes and clothing.
Hope you like it!!

I finally finished my 1963 Falcon San Remo (it's the standard San Remo not the Equipe). Thus 531 butted tubing (not double butted). I bought it on ebay a few years ago from a guy in Walsall who owned it since he was 17. He bought it 2nd hand in 1968 from Bob Mansell cycle shop in Walsall, after lusting after it in the shop window. Sounds like he loved it when he was riding in the 60's and 70's, but hadn't used it for many years. Scroll forward and I bought a dilapidated orange Falcon looking a bit sorry for itself.
Rechromed front lugs, respray (by me - almost perfect even if I say so myself!), convert to period Campagnolo Gran Sport 2 x 5 gears (was a steel Williams crank 1x5 setup before). Rebuilt the wheels with new spokes but kept the original tub rims and Atom/Ofmega hubs, and the original Weinmann centre pull brakes were polished up. A period saddle upgrade (to a more racey Brooks saddle) and Leotard pedals and it's ready to go.
Around me are a few places clearly named after the bicycle company, so it seemed sensible to have a tour of those on it's first proper ride.
Plus it's also been out to the Commonwealth Games road race in Warwick last weekend where it was admired by quite a few people.
View attachment 652039View attachment 652040View attachment 652041

In reality it's too big for me. It's a 22inch frame and I am 5'7" - a 20-21" frame would have been much better. But it looks good and it was the fashion to have a large framed bike and much less visible seat post (seat pin?). Downtube shifters are going to take some getting used to, and I need to sort 5th gear out - the chain is skipping so it's either worn or needs some adjustment, but it is really nice to ride with it's tubs and 531 frame.
Next steps are a period bottle cage and maybe toe clips - these would allow longer and more efficient rides, however then I am going down the rabbit hole of period shoes and clothing.
Hope you like it!!
I missed this post when it came out. Great work on the Falcon. It is the model 80 if I am not mistaken, which is actually the model which launched the San Remo model range in January 1960 and began it all - the first record of the Equipe I have is 1962. A lovely ride so welcome to the small group of us Falcon lovers!

Very smart :), classy drive train too :)

If its a mis matched "block and chain" then can skip, if it doesn't stop by minor adjustment them might be easier to get new replacements.

Last edited:
Back