1950s C. Bertrand

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
About a year ago, I bought a frameset from @Foreigner, who had discussed its origin in an own thread on here, revealing that the handpainted gold lettering on the downtube most certainly is refering to C. Bertrand & Co's company.

After I bought it, I tried to figure out a build but didnt came too far with it, especially as the supply of classic British parts in Germany is almost non exisiting. Still, I kept it.

Just yesterday I got some information, collected by the VCC marques expert, neither listed at classicrendevouz nor at classiclightweights.

However, according to those information the Bertrand company was around even before the turn of the century, building framesets for different brands and resellers. Only in 1927 they started marketing their own framesets from their shop in North Finchley and did so for a couple of years when suddenly both Charles Richmond Barmore (father) and Charles Bertrand Barmore (son) died in the late 1930s and the ongoing production is still a mystery.

In 1946/47 Edgar "Eddie" Sage took over the brand and started building custom frames under the C. Bertrand name for almost a decade. The company was eventually closed for good in late 1950s and unfortunatelly the books and information on frames where disposed during this time.

My framset, wearing #9667 stemped on a Nervex BB shell, was probably build in 1951-1953 to an unknown customer. According to @Foreigner 's information the frame might have been slightly altered and repainted in the 1970s.

Most certainly it has been build around a 27" wheelset as the stays almost clear a 700c*40mm tire and I could run it easily with 650b*42 or 700c*38mm.

Here are some pictures of the Bertrand

As I do not like the classic road ride, I'll stick to a more rough stuff oriented build, making use of the ample clearance. Not sure though, if I go with 700c or 650b wheels, both offering almost the same width I could use.

Next to the rough stuff approach, i.e fenders, rack, and dynamo light it is going to be a fixed gear bike.

Really looking forward to some input and ideas regarding parts.

Cheers,
Nora

Back