my funk

lou74

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
just found this site, see intro thread.
thought i'd share some pics of my funk with you guys.
it's history is quite interesting. it was 1 of the 1st two into the uk that MBUK took to the alps to test ride. i loved the look of it but was shocked at the £1050 price tag for the frame, this was 1990 & i was 16!
it then ended up with a local fella Andy Pegg (some might remember him, rode for the fisher uk team way, way back in the day) when he was riding for covent garden cycles. Andy was good mates with Jo Burt, see the mint sauce race & flowers team laser cut stickers & also with Mike burrows, him what did the lotus bike, which is why it has carbon fibre wraped round the stays where they cracked! it was offered to me with 1st gen rock shox for £350, i never liked springy forks (was fast enough downhill without) so with out the rock shox for was mine for 250 sovs, took his arm too!
it was my 2nd bike, tho i did ride it in the norfolk school championship, which was the only race i won.
since i stoppped riding it has followed me through several sheds getting used very occasionally. still rides lovelly, but could do with some new wheels & i'd really, really like some 7spd xt thumbshifters.
no it's not for sale!
cheers, lewis

Attachments

• P6140279.JPG
    P6140279.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 4,185
  • P6140280.JPG
    P6140280.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 4,185
  • P6140281.JPG
    P6140281.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,185
andy.l":2rjh1qgr said:
that needs some tlc mate

The Funk Pinksters will go crazy ;)

You can't be restoring that, it's battle scarred! If bikes could talk that one would have a shed load more to say than almost any of ours.

Andy Pegg - he of the dodgy plaited ponytail? Think I met him many moons back in covent garden cycles, the same day as I bought my titan 1/2 trac.

it'll never get painted, like you say, too many stories! few new parts wouldn't go amiss & it'd be nice to be able to get the seat post out!

peggy with the ponytail, the one & only. top bloke & bloody quick too!

Talking of covent garden cycles I do seem to remember one of the mechanics downstairs had the most amazing bike. If I remember right he had spent some time working for Chris Dekerf and his bike was an amazing mess of tubes all topped off with a thick coat of dekerf green - or did I dream it.....

Spent far too much of my time in london in that shop, even when I worked in a bike shop I still went there to buy decent kit! Bought my first Timbuk2 bag there - a proper one piece bag, none of these modern 3 panel ones, got a pump bag and radio holder with it for that full on courier look!
I went back a few years ago and it had all gone 'generic bike shop', destroyed a little bit of my youth, another place I can never go to again :cry:

PINK FUNK... PINK FUNK...It's a pukka PINK FUNK

Welcome to the site and grats on having the best looking frame in the best colour ever :)

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow that's had a hard life....cool bike though and nice to see it's been used.

Hi mate!

That bike would benefit from some TLC, but good history!

Yea, I know of Andy from the Pro-Circuit MTB scene (I used to ride for them) and also Mike. Met up with Mike at many a Time Trial, where he used to bring some of his crazy road bikes along!! A local legend!

That's soooo cool. You couldn't possibly respray it. Replace anything that's partyed out and leave it the way it is to roll on and spread it's hard living story far and wide. :D

Back