'97 Santa Cruz Heckler - m*dern build *Updated*

haribo

Old School Hero
OK, nothing retro here aside from the frame. Quick build with what I had - all parts bar a few bought s/h from forums/ebay etc for peanuts. Built up as a practical, fun, do-it-all bike and after my first test ride I'm well pleased :D although I haven't weighed her I'm also surprised at how light it feels too.

Is the stack height I'm running a problem (other than being ugly!)? I don't want to cut the steerer any shorter as if I do it won't fit my Maxlight's long headtube should I want to swap it over.

Sorry for the non-retro content :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_5456i.jpg
    IMG_5456i.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 4,834
A mechanical engineer would probably advise that running your stem at the top of a steerer that length is a bad idea.

I like Santa Cruz bikes.

I think it looks good, it's still retro style IMO. I doubt whether such a long stack of spacers puts all that much extra strain on the head tube to be honest. The important thing is whether it makes the front of the bike too high for you - presumably not though as otherwise you wouldn't have fitted the riser bars. Another, also non-ideal, option is to swap a few of the spacers to above the stem - lower, fractionally stronger, matter of taste whether it looks better or worse.

Anthony":qysvduxz said:
it's still retro style IMO.

I don't see it myself, other than the 'quill stem' effect spacers and the bar ends.

Still a nice looking bike though.

Build

Warrants better chainset, rear mech and deffo cut the steerer or at least stick most of the stack on top in matching black! No retro tho, but nice all the same!

Here she is after sorting out the stack into a slightly better arrangement (albeit I still don't want to cut the steerer!), removal of barends (will prob miss them but didn't think they suited the burly frame and risers) and a bit of elbow grease. I know she's not a retro steed in this guise but it's what I had kicking around/taken from another bike (and is a lot of fun to ride!). I think she'll stay like this, for the time being at least.

Parts worth mentioning:

'97 Santa Cruz Heckler (new pivot bearings and newer style pivot axle)
PUSHed Fox Float RL rear shock
'06 Rock Shox Revelation 426 Dual Air
Magura Julies (180mm/160mm) & A2Z rear disk adapter
Race Face Evolve XC post/forged stem
Easton EA70 low rise Monkeybars
WTB Rocket V
Truvative Firex GXP chainset
DMR V8's
LX front mech
XT rear mech
XT 8 sp cassette
XTR cable set

Attachments

• IMG_5463.jpg
    IMG_5463.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4,703
Updated

Don't think a bike I own will ever be left alone for long but my '97 Heckler is pretty much done now I think. I'll try to resist the classifieds/ebay as best I can! Recent upgrades include:

Mavic Crossride wheels
Panaracer Fire XC Pro's
Ritchey WCS headset
Hope QR skewers
Hope QR seat clamp
Hope Mono Mini's (although may change these for a set of XT's)

Interested to see how heavy she is, feels pretty light.

Attachments

• IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4,550
  • IMG_7998.jpg
    IMG_7998.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4,549
  • IMG_7995.jpg
    IMG_7995.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 4,551
  • IMG_7994.jpg
    IMG_7994.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 4,549
All-mountainy? Old frame/new parts? Sounds familiar :)

2053157538_a9ceb02d1c.jpg

Thanks Jon.

Mike - nice pic, what vintage is yours? A few q's for a fellow old Heckler rider:

What travel are you running up front on those Pikes and what does it feel best with in your exp?

How's your rear tyre clearance? Mine's not great hence running 1.8 on the back and a 2.1 up front. I've also found that my rear wheel is very slightly off centre (and it's not the dishing of the wheel as I've had a few sets slotted in there that have been straight as a die on other bikes but are a little out on the SC) - strange.

Back