My new old Bontrager, more pics added 25/11

Geoff

Senior Retro Guru
Postie brought me a nice present today... sorry about the rubbish pics, I'm in the middle of house moving and can't find the USB cable for my proper camera. Have resized the pictures to be less stupid big now...

Picked this up off ebay for about a hundred and eighty quid plus shipping. Was a very strange build really... running an 8 speed cassette with 7 speed SRT600 gripshift and the low limit adjuster screwed in to prevent using the largest sprocket. God only knows what the indexing was like, I didn't even try it, ditched the grip shift and horrible plastic SRAM 9.0 brake levers immediately and put some M739 Rapidfire on instead.

I'm afraid to say this bike will be doing commuting duties so a set of 1" slicks and an 8 speed road cassette are on their way. It needs a good clean and will be getting my SPDs when I go home to get them.

I'm not sure what year this is, assume it is a Race as it has two piece seatstays but no scalloped headtube. Any ideas? The cablestops are not the riveted ones and there is a canti hanger on the back...

I do like Bonty's.

Very nice buy.

Good colour too.

:D

(can you upload a pic of your Kiluea? I am considering one.)

Sure, I'll try and sort something out tomorrow (2.21am here right now!). You'll have to bear in mind that it's a workhorse and thus doesn't look particularly retro though...

Mmm, might put some rigid forks on this one. Wonder which ones...?

Re: My new old Bontrager

Geoff":14nmf0we said:
I'm not sure what year this is, assume it is a Race as it has two piece seatstays but no scalloped headtube. Any ideas? The cablestops are not the riveted ones and there is a canti hanger on the back...

Looks pretty much like this one of mine which I think is a '94. Mine gets used for commuting and towing a trailer. Superb ride.

Attachments

• Bonty3_arse.jpg
    Bonty3_arse.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 7,147
Looking at the catalogue archives I'm thinking 95 sounds about right too.

I need some help on what to do with it though. At the moment the steering doesn't feel right to me at all. I think the long stem combined with the low rise and flat, narrow bars is putting too much weight too far forward. I can't really go for a shorter stem cos I think I'll run out of room, so would a similar length with more rise and wider bars help? Either that or keep the stem and fit risers but I think that would look a bit wrong.

Also I'm going to need a rigid fork I think. Whoever owned this prior to me attacked the fork brace in order to allow the V-brakes to clear it, and even then they won't really clear it. So suggestions for a suitable 1" threaded fork please!

Gus, I'll try and get some photos of the Kona up over the weekend.

Well other than a new stem and possibly the rigids, it's finished in a road bike stylee now. It cleaned up pretty well, bit of Silvo on the rims and other shiny bits and just a general wash. New chain and road cassette. The pedals are just there for a few weeks until I go home and pick up my SPDs. Still haven't had a chance to ride it though. :evil:

At Gus' request, here is the Kilauea. The setup does look a bit motocross, I'd love to have it setup in the traditional XC manner but my bodyshape coupled with a slightly iffy back means I need it to be somewhat more upright. Ignore the lights, they are coming off as it's not going to have to double as a commuting rig anymore. I love this frame. It's handled everything I've been able to throw at it over the past 12 years with aplomb, and that includes a bungled 4 foot drop off/nose dive onto concrete. :oops:

Edit: Before anybody says anything, I know the outer cables are too long! :LOL:

Back