My Yellow Pinarello - Updated - new pics

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Thought I'd share my finished build on a Pinarello Veneto frame. I'm not entirely sure how old the frame is, I bought it off eBay as New Old Stock and was claimed as mid-eighties. I just liked the yellow. After that I decided I would stick completely to Shimano Dura-ace components. I wasn't looking for any sort of period re-build, just a great-looking bike I could take out on the roads this summer. This was my first build of any sort, and apart from jamming a ferrule in the top tube, and hence having to re-route cables along top, I think it's okay. It rides beautifully, and the gear changing is honey smooth and whisper quiet.

The brake levers are the only non-dura-ace part, simply couldn't find any on eBay. All the components were sourced individually off eBay and are all in the 7400 series.

Cinelli 1R stem and some vintage Phillips handlebars (which were the only thing I already had before building). Got some lovely Cinelli handlebars but couldn't get brake lever clamps around the bends.

The wheels are Mavic Open Pro on Dura-Ace hubs.

Took this for a spin around Richmond Park on Sunday, and the only thing I realised is that I might need a smaller inner chain-ring. The real cassette is 8-speed and doesn't have a huge range, so hills are a bit of leg killer.

Attachments

• DSCF1341.JPG
    DSCF1341.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 1,354
  • DSCF1342.JPG
    DSCF1342.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,354
  • DSCF1346.JPG
    DSCF1346.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • DSCF1349.JPG
    DSCF1349.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,354
  • DSCF1357.JPG
    DSCF1357.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,353
  • DSCF1359.JPG
    DSCF1359.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,353
  • DSCF1374.JPG
    DSCF1374.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,355
Re: My Yellow Pinarello

Very nice but the bar tape should go under the brake hoods and not over them!

Turn the front skewer so its on the left side of the hub.

I would stick a Turbo saddle on it and ditch the modern one.

but thats me! A fussy guy ;)

Ian Raleigh":33l7duz3 said:

Why?

cycletothesea":32e3e78q said:
Ian Raleigh":32e3e78q said:
Why?
If the bar tape is under the hoods the bars it will look far neater, if bar tape is exposed it will wear on the edges and will look a mess.

All skewers go on the left, Its been that was since the dawn of the quick release, though some older rear Campag' ones was fitted to the right.

I'd get rid of the headset spacers lower the stem a tad so you can get into a good drop position when on the drops other than that nice clean lines the bike has

Ian Raleigh":k5jlzw9r said:
Funny - never noticed before about bar tape over hoods, will remember next time. Will leave my skewer on the right though, just to be obstinate and see how many people point it out to me.

The spacers stay on too, I ride long miles and aerodynamics don't bother me so much as comfort and enjoyment. Spent a long time finding the right handlebar and saddle height and it works for me.

Lovely bike apart from the q/r the wrong way around :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Richmond Park ? Hills ? They're not hills my lad , it's just a rolling road .
Still , it could be worse . You could have to use the small ring on one of these light , carbon modern bikes :LOL:
At least on an old bike , you can be thought of as just an old duffer by these clone riders :facepalm:
I like to give that impression on my steel bikes , before a leave 'em for dead :cool:
Mike

Mike Muz 67":1exteapl said:
Lovely bike apart from the q/r the wrong way around :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Richmond Park ? Hills ? They're not hills my lad , it's just a rolling road .

Oh I know they're not hills, just meant that the 52/42 with a close spaced cassette didn't give me many options for spinning, and I realised that it might be a problem when I get on some hills proper. Currently trying to see if can find a 39t small ring which will work on a 7400 dura-ace.

Very smart...........always liked yellow after I came across a few bright yellow Harry Quinns in the 70's, twas an unusual colour back then :)

What make are the levers?

Shaun

39 would be good , I use a 53/39 split on one bike , and a 54/39 on the latest british steel project I've nearly finished .
Hey Shaun , have you seen the Polti coloured Coppi on eBay ? They look nice , but a few friends of mine bought some BITD , seemed to have b/b issues iirc

Mike

Back