i get upset by the dross

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
as much as i like orange bikes i do sometimes hanker after other brands so quite often do searches on ebay for the other brands i rode all those years ago.

in 90 i had a muddy fox seeker comp then a aluminium pro, in 92 i had a proflex, then i got an explosif so these are the brands i tend to search for.

girvin/proflex never throws too many options and at the moment some really nice examples,

kona also throws up some nice examples of retro and modern bikes/frames/spares

then there is muddy fox, nothing but dross and rubbish and fakes and pikey bikes! :(

where are the seekers? couriers? alu pro's etc from the early 90's? early 90's being the ones i prefer.

or have they fallen from grace so much and the good examples so few that they never come up?

there's been a few for sale on here of late ,dont think they sold either
had a hankering for one myself ,but got other things to be getting on with

Most people have no idea there are folk crazy enough to pay good money for a 20 year old bike with rust on it and a flat tyre. So they just put things in their local paper for £15 and accept 10. I think Kona has always had street cred, so more people would know their Kona might be worth putting on eBay. A high-end Muddy Fox is obviously a better bike than a low-end Kona, but their owners aren't necessarily aware of it.

Let's face it, most things get put in a skip once they're a few years old these days. It isn't obvious to the layman that a mountain bike would be any different.

i'm not actually looking to buy to be honest, i'm looking more out of interest. if something nice came up i'd throw in a bid if i liked it enough it's just seeing almost nothing nice from a brand i really liked is really crap!

there were only 2 good examples on ebay amongst the rubbish, one was way too big and the other had bent forks although the seller suggested it needed a headset (my guess being the fork crown is compressed causing the headset to be stiff)

these weren't the models i was interested in though either, even if they were in my size without bent forks!

it's just frustrating to type in "kona" and get loads of options and then "muddy fox" and get nothing but WDS and BSO's

:(

i'm soo with you fella. (fancy a hug?)

I'm the worlds biggest Muddy Fox fan. Universal have raped, pillaged & dragged the brand through dirtiest, stinkiest mud i have ever known. I hate them for it.

After around 1992 they took a slide (after being bought out) i had a 91 alu pro, white, with a full DX groupo. Awesome bike!

Sometime in the future, people will travel for miles around to pay £3.25 entrance to my muddy fox retro museum. (ill give you guys here some discount) Which will be based at the side of my HQ, muddy fox UK. Because one day i will buy them out !!! ( & i mean it)

I changed my mind about the discount. If i did that, then no one would be paying full price !

The first proper MTB I had a go on was a MF Courier in white
I can still feel it, smell it :shock:

Nurse! Nurse!

xeo":2kcq76hr said:
i'm soo with you fella. (fancy a hug?)

i had a 91 alu pro, white, with a full DX groupo. Awesome bike!

hug? no i have never been confused!

but i had the same alu pro! i got it when my seeker got nicked! 4 locks!! the bas***ds!!!! :x

with my alu pro i upgraded to some xt and then added mag 20's, mavic 231's and a few other bits, another one i should never have sold!! although the next one was a proflex frame swap then upgrade to xtr

rare vintage

ive often thought the same thing, vintage rocky mountain frames seem as rare as hens teeth :?

volume sales and fashion - the quick to fade finishes of the MF bikes did them no favours. I used to find literally loads of Couriers and Comps up until a few years ago - now pretty hard to find any MF in good nick

Back