Oct 17th Lincs Wolds ride

Wondered about seeing if any of the East Mids lot were interested.
That camera is definitely active... the letter's arrived :evil:

:evil: Allt he cameras that are now inoperative and you find that one :(

Clean license up till then?

Last 3 points were 5 years ago.
I do about 25K per year so I suppose it was way overdue.... just hope they don't come in 3s :shock:

:cry: Unlucky Rob.

The event is indeed done by Andy and takes in quite a bit of what we did on my last ride...so imagine that with another 14miles to go with the likelyhood of it being wet and sticky clay........not my idea of fun....a challenge indeed though.

chrisv40":1i41lxyt said:
Andy has done it Rob, I'm sure he will be along shortly ;)
*waves*

Yeah I did the last event ~42 miles, the next event is of a similar length, but a slightly different route & probably in reverse to the summer event.

It's hard, but fun (insert double entendre here), 171 riders started the summer event 167 finished, winner got round in 2:50:02hrs last round the course was 6:49:55hrs.

As John mentioned we did some of it on the ride he lead, the summer event was in reverse to the sections we did, so the winter one might be the same way we did, the rest of the route is of a similar terrain, but with some more tarmac thrown in.

It's well organised with 2 feed stops for water/squash & flapjack/cake/biscuits. Mobile butty van for grub & tea/coffee & cold drinks on site. Fairly well signposted, a sign or two were tampered with this year, but that seems to happen at other similar events.

If it's wet then it will be damn hard, the combo of rain, clay & chalk can sometimes feel like riding through treacle mixed with superglue. You will need a large pointy stick with you for mud removal purposes...(ignore the lunatic in the photo, he doesn't get out very often you see)
015.jpg

Aftermath thread from a ride that used some of the same trails as the event does here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... hlight=mud

I should be doing the next event but not on a retrobike, I have to help build brand awareness of a certain brand that we sell in our shop....besides 42 miles on a hardtail with an arthritic back is the perfect excuse for a specific bike for this type of event ;)

Damn unlucky on the ticket Rob :(

Thanks for the feed-back. I do of course have this rose-tinted view of the Lincs Wolds, dry, light breeze, warm, and will expect nothing less for the full distance. I have a hunch I'll pay my entry fee at the last minute having scanned the weather forecast on a daily basis from the beginning of October.
I've done the Salisbury Plain Challenge several times in heavy chalky clay and it's not fun.
There are two or three of us who may venture up, on the back of my enthusiastic recommendation following the splendid recent ride, so I'll keep you posted of our plans.

Rob :D

Back