Raleigh Single Speed

Brings back memories

Still got mine in my mums garage, might go over and dig it out :D

Mine was a 23" frame and had the 'u' brake under the chainstays

87 Cool Mint Montage turned touring bike

I've got an 87 Cool Mint Montage turned touring bike. Bought Estelle for $50 and defiled her with drop handlebars, a Bianchi (matching) fender, and old Brooks saddle. I still have most of the original components but this set-up makes a super comfy tourer/commuter! My favorite ride. I've put thousands of miles on it.

Has "made in England" sticker, is that true?

montage similar to Estelle

I have just bought a Montage similar to Estelle, I guess 1988

These are the details:-
Frame: Reynolds 501 lugged & butted, Unicorn fork with forged ends
Frame no.: 00598927 on seat tube sticker, made in England; RA20 JQ on bottom of BB
Frame size: height 58cm/22.75”, top tube 58cm/22.75”, down tube 60cm/23.5”, head tube 19cm/7.5”; horizontal dropouts with threaded adjustment holes
Headset: Tange Unique-X; Handlebar: Sakae MTB
Seat stem, SP Laprade fluted “27.0 Japan, J 88”; Seat, Vetta Gel
Brakes: Dia-Compe levers 284; front brake canti Lee Chi 707A, rear 767A Jumbo U-brake
Wheels 36 spoke: Alesa 525 alloy rims 559x25cm/26x1.75” : Maillard hubs 48-86 front, 50-88 rear: tyres Cheng Shin Mountain C 616-6 26x1.75 R6302 TW8470
Gear shifters: Suntour, left Powershift, right Accushift indexed
Deraillers: front, Suntour: rear, Suntour α 3040 Accushift
Chainring: Sakae Oval Tech elliptical Efficiency Plus “350”: 28-38-48
Rear cassette, 6 speed 13-15-17-20-24-30
Crank: Sakae SX 170mm
Pedals: MKS C-6000; Mudguards, Poker

Thinking of
1) removing damaged decals on top tube - how do you do that?
2) replacing handlebars with wider swept-back bars - acor power bar 2501
3) replacing Vetta Gel seat with a Brooks - but which? B17? Flyer? B72?
4) replacing low pressure tyres with something slicker and firmer - what?
5) attaching a rack - but no seat stay screws - is Avenir 3 point rack OK? (P clamps look unsightly - is M:part seat stay bolt with holes for rack legs good?)

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Roops-

I've got 1.5 inch/80 psi Nimbuses (Nimbi?) on mine which makes for a pretty fast ride but still a good downtown assault vehicle. Those super-strong armadillos would be cool tho.

I usually have an old Blackburn rack on mine. I use rubber coated conduit hangers and my 110 lb son can stand on it (don't try at home).

Some might think that big ol' B-72 is nerdy, but it's one luxurious ass-hammock.

Warning: Make sure replacement handlebars will fit. When I put the dropbars on mine I learned that these bikes have a 21.1 mm stem (which is like a bmx size).

1987 U-Brake Raleigh Montage

Hi Guys, My first post so hello to all...

I've recently gotten hold of a 1987 U-Brake Raleigh Montage but it needs a complete overhaul and respray (all parts are still usable after a good clean up but they don't look too pretty). All standard apart from stem.

My question is - Does anyone know, or can anyone confirm the bottom bracket and headset sizes for this bike? I THINK that the bottom bracket is a 68mm shell with a standard english thread and the headset is a 1 inch 24 tpi standard threaded, can anyone help please????

Also any suggestions of colour?? and should i repaint the original bits or replace??

Many thanks

Gaz

Allright, finally some action on this project :) it's going to be a single speed for road/forrest routes use.
Stripped the frame, put on some primer and tomorrow a nice brownish color.
Rest of the parts:
shiny handlebars with lots of backsweep
brown leather grips
Rolls saddle
Geax balloon tires

pbpic4304029.jpg

pbpic4309904.jpg

Back