Help needed: identify the frame - bought in Holland.

ermsamermsam

Dirt Disciple
Hi
I bought this yesterday at a 2nd hand shop for 35 euro. It has a 1979 (a man on ebay says) Dura-ace gruppo with record hubs, MAFAC brake levers and OMAS headset, and lovely shaped 3t bars. At the time I only recognised the campag and dura-ace and it seemed like a bargin. Recent internet research tells me the other bits and bobs were good kit back in the day.
I guess it has had a respray and and overzelous yellow highlighting at some point,
The only branding is "Champion" stickers on the down tube, a painter sticker at top of seat tube and a bike shop sticker on one of the chain stays.

It has campag rear dropouts and "Cinelli SC, Made in Italy" under the bb. Obviously I know Cinelli, but is the frame a Cinelli one or just the bb?

I would be very gratefull if anybody could add to my meagre knowledge .

Not sure what I will do with it as it is not quite my size and all the components need a bit of love and polish. Though I do love a bit of polishing on a Sunday afternoon...

Thanks for your help.
Sam

Pics below:

3414885767_46c6f7833d_o.jpg

Sorry about the bin
3414881593_86ff800039_o.jpg

3414876339_abb6c8511a_o.jpg

3415689662_cf66b625a1_o.jpg

3414879973_46e8728658_o.jpg

The resprayers?
3414877171_b3e50b9d99_o.jpg

Am I getting carried away to imagine these are Colagno spokes? The spokes and rims are the most knackered bits on the bike though..
3415687594_e8f5a7209d_o.jpg

Looks like >>>

merckx-photo.jpg

I am sorry, I have no idea.

I like that seat. I like more from your bike. Good score.

Nice find Sam,
Dont know what yours is but a search for builders that used a U cutout on the lugs or as a trademark may help.
The cinelli on the BB is probably just the BB, they supplied to all over the world.
Its a nice looking frame though and well worth the 35 euro :D

Cheers

Yeah, more reseach has indicated the unlikelyness of id-ing a frame based on Cinelli BB shell and campag dropouts...
Thanks for your help.

Sam

I would date it to early to mid 80s.

I agree the "Cinelli" just means it's a Cinelli BB shell. As already mentioned, the U cutout could be an identifying mark. Also, two top tube guides, rather than three, is less common, I think.

Those are Berg chrome plated spokes!
I think spokes are probably the only bike part that has never had "Colnago" on them.

A good value purchase, should restore nicely. The lugs intrigue me, any one any idea what they are - Bocama perhaps?

Colour scheme definitely a crib of Faema I'd say, personally I've always liked it.

From the fact that it's Dutch and it has 'Champion' written on it I'd say there's a fair chance it's a Gazelle.

I have/had quite a lot Gazelle Champion Mondials. The frame doesn't look like any of them I can tell.

Back