Help me ID a Concorde Squadra

vaeske

Dirt Disciple
Hello All, could someone please help me with some information about a concorde squadra? From what I was told: Seller's partner bought it from an ex pro from Holland. I'm not sure what the local pro teams were in this colour scheme: green headtube, white and skyblue with a dash of red colorway on top tube.

What the frame has:
TSX Tubing
Cinelli BB with cable guides cut open all the way down
NDS BB shell has a 2 stamp and 238 stamp below that
rear stays has the pdm (3 cyclists) stamp and ultech stamp
brake bridge has two concorde stamps and a silva stamped on the bottom
has the ciocc italian flag it appears the riders name is rubbed out on top of been hidden underneath some stickers.
has race no. hanger
brake cable guide is exterior beneath the top tube
concorde and cinelli stamps on the head tube lugs (both top and bottom)

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Especially from the dutchies.

Attachments

• IMG_8361.JPG
    IMG_8361.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8374.JPG
    IMG_8374.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8373.JPG
    IMG_8373.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8369.JPG
    IMG_8369.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8368.JPG
    IMG_8368.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8367.JPG
    IMG_8367.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8366.JPG
    IMG_8366.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Ibr
I don't know which team, but the external cabling is a good indication that it was a team bike. Good luch with the research!

There is a brochure on RB:

Top model in the pricelist is the Squadra. But apart from the braze on for a racenumber tag under the toptube, yours looks like a factory frame as far as I can see. I could be wrong, I am not an expert.

Notable was the PDM Concorde team. They were around from 1986 to 1992, your bike is later I think. That is about all I can say about it.

It's not a colour combo I've seen, but Concorde did supply club based teams in Belgium and (I assume) Holland, so it could be hard to track down.
Does it have a size and TX stamped on the drive side of the BB shell? The serial number in that format seems to imply it was made as a race frame, the serial number format on retail frames is different. The external brake cable tallies with the race frame hypothesis, production Squadra had internal brake cable. I would expect this frame was made by Billato. The 1991 catalog shows the Squadra in TSX with the Squadra text in that particular 80's computer style font, so yours can be that early. 91 catalogue also has the Squadra with Ultech dropouts, as opposed to the earlier ones with Campagnolo.

To clear up 2 common misconceptions...... On a Concorde a race number hanger in itself doesn't mean anything, all of the higher level Concordes had the hanger as standard (1991 catalog, Prelude, Aquila and Squadra). Secondly, the Italian flag braze on isn't specifically Ciocc. Ciocc, and Concorde from the Cicli John <<Ciocc>> factory have it, but Billato built Concordes have it too , along with some other Billato products. It's not unknown on Gios, and probably more once you start to look.

Hopefully this info is some help, regards Sean.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 20
I don't know which team, but the external cabling is a good indication that it was a team bike. Good luch with the research!
Thanks DSH, a second opinion also advised it was a team bike. Most notably the cutout of the spoiler BB was what the mechanics did for ease of cleaning the bike. Second opinion also advised the 2 was the 2nd preferred bike of the the rider.

There is a brochure on RB:

Top model in the pricelist is the Squadra. But apart from the braze on for a racenumber tag under the toptube, yours looks like a factory frame as far as I can see. I could be wrong, I am not an expert.

Notable was the PDM Concorde team. They were around from 1986 to 1992, your bike is later I think. That is about all I can say about it.
Thanks Grantoury, I found the brochure. It doesn't appear to be a PDM but leaning more towards a local dutchie or belgian team. That same second opinion that I mentioned above also seem to think it could be a re-painted PDM team bike.

It's not a colour combo I've seen, but Concorde did supply club based teams in Belgium and (I assume) Holland, so it could be hard to track down.
Does it have a size and TX stamped on the drive side of the BB shell? The serial number in that format seems to imply it was made as a race frame, the serial number format on retail frames is different. The external brake cable tallies with the race frame hypothesis, production Squadra had internal brake cable. I would expect this frame was made by Billato. The 1991 catalog shows the Squadra in TSX with the Squadra text in that particular 80's computer style font, so yours can be that early. 91 catalogue also has the Squadra with Ultech dropouts, as opposed to the earlier ones with Campagnolo.

To clear up 2 common misconceptions...... On a Concorde a race number hanger in itself doesn't mean anything, all of the higher level Concordes had the hanger as standard (1991 catalog, Prelude, Aquila and Squadra). Secondly, the Italian flag braze on isn't specifically Ciocc. Ciocc, and Concorde from the Cicli John <<Ciocc>> factory have it, but Billato built Concordes have it too , along with some other Billato products. It's not unknown on Gios, and probably more once you start to look.

Thanks Seanaus, It would be almost impossible to track down, considering the sellers husband bought it from that ex-pro 20 years ago.

It doesn't have a size or TX stamped on the drive side of the BB Shell. That same second opinion also seemed to think it was a pro-team race frame, deducting from the number 2 stamp and the spoiler BB cutouts, plus the riders name rubbed off the top tube behind the italian flag and of course the external brake cable guides.

I have no way of dating this one as I haven't yet seen the 91 Catalogue, Please share if you would be so kind. Not sure how you can deduce it was build by Billato either. Please advise if you have any other info.

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-8382.jpg
    IMG-8382.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-8381.jpg
    IMG-8381.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: DSH
Ciclolinea is component supplier in Bologna. Google it if you haven't already.
Thanks Chickendrumsticks, I knew that already. as the bar tape finishing tap was using Ciclolinea. So I'm assuming it could be that the original ex-pro who sold the bike either had his mechanics or rubbed off his name himself and then used what they had on hand to tape over where the name was.

I have the physical catalogue in my collection. I'm happy to share it once I have finished the photographing, cropping and collating of it (which is underway). My Squadra, which is older than yours is a Billato build, and apart from Campagnolo vesus Ultech dropouts is more or less identical (and SLX vs TSX). After somewhere in the mid 80s, post Cicli John <<Ciocc>> era, all the high end Concordes were made by Billato as far as I know. A Billato made Squadra in TSX is very desirable...... There are at least 5 different builders that built Concorde branded frames at different times. Interesting fun fact, the Italian flag braze on on my early Cicli John <<Ciocc>> Concorde is a subtly different part to the one on my later Billato, and not all Italian made Concordes had the flag braze on.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 13

hello sir....are you have catalogue concorde track?
i have one but i cant found reference on internet
thanks

I belive I have seen your frame on FB, is it the one with no paint currently? There is nothing in my catalogue about track bikes at all I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back