Let's see those retro road bikes

'example can be sourced on a famous Dutch classified site'

Please tell - which site is that then??

I'm getting to like the look of these Kogas, not many in UK.

Hi Ned,

That famous site is of course Marktplaats ....but the people selling the cheapies are normally not the people willing to ship to UK. Bike shipping is rare in general. Mp principle is more collection based.

Nod towards Elev12K's above. Just picked this up on ebay and done a little tidying.

Attachments

• koga.jpg
    koga.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,053
Fred,

My ProRacer and Pro Am are of another era as your 1991 Pro, but if we compare their positions in the line up the Pro fits in at at least the same level as the ProRacer and definately above the Pro Am.

Your Pro ranked under the FullPro of that year. Same Hardtlite triple butted Spiral Spline frame and full Dura Ace 7400 groupset. Most significant differences were that the FP had a feathereight bonded aluminum fork, while your bike has a neat steel 3ple butted Spiral Spline one. In fact your frame is identical to saddle up's Team Miyata ...and the ones up on eBay.com regularly. Moreover the FullPro had STI and Dual Pivot brakes, both novities for that year that were carried paralel next to the dt shifters and single pivot brakes.

If you ever need a fork for whatever kind of reason for your frame, drop me a line. I have both the Pro and alu FP one laying around.

Of your year I do have the GentsRacer-Carbolite.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Elev,

Thanks for the information, you seem to have a very deep knowledge of Koga's, where does that come from?

I was assuming that mine was pretty original, but if it's a 1991, the cranks cannot be OE as the Lo-Pro crank came in 1994.

Thanks for the offer on the fork, I'll bear it in mind if I ever crash it.

Saddle-Ups Miyata frame is georgeous. Would much prefer the colours on that to mine.

I really want the Chrome Aero tubed/Aero groupset Koga that is in their snack room at the factory. If I remember it is even in my size!
Have you got a scan/picture of that model?

Cheers,

Fred

Fred,

I am passionate as it was my 1st proper bike I had. Moreover they are well made serious bikes, worth being passionate about.

The aero model you saw in the factory canteen is the FullPro-A. It featured drop shaped tubing, fillet brazed together. Finish is chrome. Yes, there are pics, very large ones actually. View them here --->

here

There you also read I almost got my hands on one ...but missed it sadly enough. Actually it is the only Koga racer of the early 80s that is really missed in my stable till now. I do have the aero-inspired FullPro-L of 1981, but that one hasn't the extreme drop tubing and uses conventional lugs instead of fillet brazing.

Not particularly high specced, or highly desired, but free :D

Late 70's or early 80's I guess, designed by Ernie Clements, one slightly tatty Falcon something-or-other (no idea of the model, ideas anybody?)

3357832647_a6dc233a6f_o.jpg

Shimano 600 Arabesque dérailleurs and levers

3358604020_ccb0a33f88.jpg

3357786893_32f6882710.jpg

Tourney brakes (to be replaced with modern dual pivot brakes as I like brakes that work well!)

3358603076_e430641daa.jpg

Used as a commuter/beer scooter. not really nice enough for a serious retro overhaul (IMHO)

Talking of free, a nice couple just gave me this;

Holdsworth2.jpg

probably a 1992 'Criterium' model unless anyone knows better. Came apart pretty easy, until the BB: excessive heat had to be used, so I won't be able to save that unique pearlescent puce paint. Looks like a powder coat's in order.

Back