best full suspension bike for £ 200-£300

orangeone":3jse0u90 said:
i asked about the size the reply i got was just. Mans

Having had a few of these design frames I would say that it is a 17.5" centre bb to centre seat tube...18.5" centre bb to top of seat tube. How tall are you?

im 5ft 8 I sent a message back asking how tall he was just to get a rough idea I was going to ask about the group set but I think it would be a bit of a hassle :D

orangeone":3a1eakfg said:
im 5ft 8 I sent a message back asking how tall he was just to get a rough idea I was going to ask about the group set but I think it would be a bit of a hassle :D

Right well I can tell you a few things...should be ok for your height, more important your inside leg. I have a 33" leg and rode a 19" frame. As for the bike its a Rock Springs which is the lower end of the "All Mountain" range of which there are 3 model the Rock Springs, Wolf Ridge and the Attack Trail (in that order of spec). They are slightly heavier than the XC range which goes, East Peak, Rift Zone and Mount Vision (and in also Alpine Trail). This one is a 1999 model and comes with a Shimano STX groupset, looks like Mavic rims and Hope disc brakes so not a bad set up which could always be upgraded. The bi question is the forks and rear shock, if they are shot then that could be costly to rectify. Is it near you? Can you go have a look?

Here are a few that I would consider if I were you...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARIN-RIFT-ZO ... 4acaf00019

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marin-Alpine- ... 53ff7dcd65

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marin-Rift-Zo ... 33866bf626

You may be able to get something newer but I recon these would go for the £150-£175 mark, giving you some dosh for fixing anything thats knackered or that you might want to upgrade. But just keep an eye on ebay and look at completed listings for an idea of what you might pay for one.

Doug

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've had a Mount Vision since 1998 and it still competes out on the trail with my mates far newer designs, it's a classic design. If you're that way inclined, there's a bloke on this site who's stealthed up his in grey and black and it looks as modern as anything.

I'm 5"11 with a 31" inside leg and the 17.5 inch frame is perfect for me, although I'd say I was at the top end of the scale before needing a 19 incher frame. The only other piece of advice I'd offer is to avoid the mk 1 Marin range as the top tube swingarm is much thinner and prone to snapping, I think this second Rift Zone in the previous links. The 1998 models were beefed up and were more or less indestructible, put it this way, I'm 18 stone and it's never creaked once and it's done some hard time in the past 15 years.

Good luck with it.

Meejoir":zh04f5vz said:
The only other piece of advice I'd offer is to avoid the mk 1 Marin range as the top tube swingarm is much thinner and prone to snapping, I think this second Rift Zone in the previous links. The 1998 models were beefed up and were more or less indestructible, put it this way, I'm 18 stone and it's never creaked once and it's done some hard time in the past 15 years.

Good luck with it.

Thats true I did have a 1997 swingarm crack (still in my garage!)

there is a specialized fsr on gumtree I have emailed the seller to see if they still have it. It is a 1999 model is there anything I should look out for if they still have it and I go for a look

orangeone":1hcohek7 said:
there is a specialized fsr on gumtree I have emailed the seller to see if they still have it. It is a 1999 model is there anything I should look out for if they still have it and I go for a look

Check for cracks and play in the rear swingarm/shock bushes....

as your name seems to suggests you like orange bikes have you considered an orange ufo ? prices seem to be reasonable and well within the budget you have stated which could possibly leave a little left over for suspension upgrades ect.

Back