1999 RockShox Deluxe servicing

Wouldn’t worry about a lock out. Where that shock is mounted on those bikes you can’t adjust it in the fly anyway.
Threshold adjustment is good as you can set it for the type of ride you are doing and just leave it.

You’ve given it a good try and you’ve learned a lot, just accept that’s as good as it’s going to get.
One thing to be aware of is that you’ll need new mounting hardware as well as a new shock. Rockshox changed eyelet size since that shock was made and what you have won’t fit.
That's really useful, thanks. I'll do some research, but what would I need and from where? It looks as though the bushes might come pre-fitted to the shock, so new shouldered "washers" to go on the bolts and match the new-size bushes? Is the eyelet width (i.e. the width of the shoulder on the end of the shock) different, or the diameter of the hole inside the bush?

Where are looking at getting the shock? If it’s a proper suspension place then they would also be able to supply the hardware.
It’s the diameter of the hole that’s changed.
With the age of the bike, or would benefit from changing the mounts anyway.

Wouldn’t worry about a lock out. Where that shock is mounted on those bikes you can’t adjust it in the fly anyway.
Threshold adjustment is good as you can set it for the type of ride you are doing and just leave it.
What extra possible products would that make worth considering? And it's true that I've not tended to change settings to any degree so far, even the fork lock.

I'm looking at an eBay bike parts supplier. I'm aware of the issues but shocks cost quite a lot for the kind of use I'm likely to get. I'm very much into keeping existing bikes working, but I have to balance cost. I can check on mounting hardware.

Some good info about mounts in general

Measure the diameter of the eyelet. If it 12.7mm (half inch) then you’ll be fine. Older RS shocks used a 10mm eyelet and if that’s what you have then you’ll need new hardware. This is ready available from any suspension company or if the mounts are weird sizes, they can custom make them for you. You’ll need to budget £15-20 each end.

Other companies out there, that one’s just an example.

As for the lockout, you can get remote operated ones but to be honest I’m not a fan. Suspension is supposed to move. If you like to fit and forget then perhaps the threshold version is better? Find a setting that works then just leave it. Everyone has different preferences though. If you often do hour plus road climbs then a lock out may suit better, but then you have to remember to get off and unlock before any fun stuff. All about balancing what you will use the bike for.

So I've reviewed all that, and this is the Monarch RL that I'm looking at.

Measured with a digital Vernier calliper, my current DU bushes have an OD of 12mm (not 12.7 mm - the eyelet was the same of course) and an ID of 10mm. As I see it, that size is obsolete, so I can't re-use the two-piece alloy hardware (and bolts) in my pictures? The current mount hardware, fitted, is 30mm across on one end and 40mm across on the other, but 14mm of that is the shoulder on the shock in each case. So, I have 16mm and 26mm to make up with the old shock, but are the shoulder widths the same on all shocks? The frame bolts have 5.85mm (6mm) shoulders.
* So, I'd need one pair of 6*16mm and one pair of 6*26mm bushes assuming a 14mm shoulder width. How precise is that? For example, here there are 6*15 and 6*25.4mm.
* I should really buy a tool to fit the DU bushes

Not wedded to particular suppliers, just trying to cost it all up.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Fitted width is what matters, the shock width should be the same no matter.

In your case 6x40 and 6x30 looks right. Try dropping them a message and seeing if they have your bike on file already.

Again, I've no affiliation to that site, it's just their pages are pretty easy to understand. Plus their bushing tool is £3 cheaper than the one you've linked to. Well worth getting one, makes the job so much easier and less risk of wrecking a £200 shock.

Fitted width is what matters, the shock width should be the same no matter.

In your case 6x40 and 6x30 looks right. Try dropping them a message and seeing if they have your bike on file already.

Again, I've no affiliation to that site, it's just their pages are pretty easy to understand. Plus their bushing tool is £3 cheaper than the one you've linked to. Well worth getting one, makes the job so much easier and less risk of wrecking a £200 shock.
I'd also give the guys at BETD a call, they've always been super helpful when I've contacted them over the years.

Well I thought I should report back after all your help. I went for a Monarch RL shock, and ordered some hardware from Offset. I couldn't fit it all together because the arc described by the rear triangle didn't allow the bolt holes to line up. So I went back to Offset for some, well, offset ones, and that fixed it 👍 Should also help to compensate for the longer shock, I think.

Not yet fully tested, but all looks good. I just need to pressurise the shock with my new birthday pump ;) and get out there. This has been delayed by plenty of other jobs - the Brompton transmission, then replacing its rubber seat sleeve, not to mention things not bike-related. But thanks again for the advice.

Attachments

• Monarch fitted small.jpg
    Monarch fitted small.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 8
Back