1999 RockShox Deluxe servicing

oldandslow

Dirt Disciple
The rear suspension on my 1999 Specialized FSR Comp is a RockShox as above. The bike has been lightly used, and I've never thought about servicing, which shows how much I know about suspension. Now, I'm getting a "clacking" noise from the rear when I hit a bump the size of a sleeping policeman, and there's a seal that seems to have come unscrewed. You can just see it in the centre of this picture.

suspension issue small.jpg

So I find that I need to learn about a whole new world of suspension. What tools do I need to do servicing at home? Can I even get parts for something that old? Is it likely to be repairable and, if not, what are my options to replace the unit? I'm not likely to consider replacing the bike. Logically I should learn the lesson and have a look at the front Judy Cs too, so same questions for them?

I've done most things on road bikes, including for example wheel building and fitting headsets - it's just that I'm a road rider at heart, so I've never got involved with this kind of thing before.

Specialized.jpg

Attachments

• suspension issue small.jpg
    suspension issue small.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Specialized.jpg
    Specialized.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 14
Err, well if you take it to a shop, it's going to be expensive. Possibly (probably) more than the shock itself is worth.

Closer pics required. You're not talking about the conical end rubber stop are you? That's meant to be there.

I don't know too much about servicing shocks.
Still, the first port of call is to have a look at the exploded schematic diagram and check part numbers:
RockShox_spareparts.pdf

I do not fancy your chances of getting parts, no.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Is the “clacking” definitely coming from the shock? A bike that age and it may well be pivots.

Valve bouncer is right, no shop will be able to help with that shock. Service kits ran out years ago. If the one you have is gone, all you can do is take a risk on a second had one or stump(y) up for a new shock. May even be cheaper buying a donor bike for working parts.

Bearing kits will be available from places like BETD, and for shock servicing of that age I’d get in touch with Retro Shox

It comes down to cost at the end of the day…
You can probably find the pivot bearing sizes and buy them from a bearing supplier then you will save money. I did a similar thing on this azonic frame and the bearing / bushing costs came to about £35

My guess at the clacking would be that this bushing (between shock eyelet and frame) has gone / worn, but get the rear triangle and give it a wobble.

My brother had this exact bike and even his ham fists managed to replace the pivots.

361B3184-10BF-4D99-91CB-41FACB51A048.jpeg

With regards to the Judy Xc forks, these are really easy to service, you just need some fresh fork oil and possibly seals 28mm (if there’s a leak). Again mr retro shox can help with spares or servicing.

Though I'd chuck both sets of suspension in the bin that is an absolutely classic FSR Comp in original condition so I could understand if you wanted to keep it like it is. If, however, you did want to take that Coupe Deluxe and shove it up Mr Rockshox's fundamental orifice for making such a piece of shite in the first place then there's good news. At the very least RS and Fox still make new suspension in that size (165x38 ) and there always seems to be decent availability in that size in the used market as well. Maybe take that Judy XC to Mr Rockshox as well and see if it'll fit, then get yourself a period correct Bomber.

Just an initial reply to acknowledge all the good starting points, contacts and ideas above. I need to find time to work on this bike, and some spare funds if needed, so I may not be able to post an update immediately with what I've done, but I'll try to get some closer pictures, as suggested by synchronicity. I'm more concerned to keep the bike as a running machine than to keep every part original, so suggestions about replacing the whole unit may be the way to go in the end.

Back