Raw steel question

Cheers for the tips! The hahanna came in a box of spares so didnt make it easy for a newbie like me to identify which parts were from this bike, there was an ea50 riser bar in the velocity stem but it had been scratched ehere it had been pushed through the bend on the riser, I stole the handlebars and put them on my firemountain but have just got hold of some alloy giant riser bars for next to nothing so will put them on the hahanna, will give the penny trick a whirl!

Im probably not looking hard enough but when searching for brands I know difnt find much fsa cane creak etc threaded headsets thanks for the names ill have a look, I may still have the original headset parts but its just all in a box of washers and nuts and bolts and have littke chance of recognising what parts I need!

Yeah doubted the rotory sander would be much use, I used a eire brush on a drill to help strip it but looks like elbow grease from now on

Spoke to the bloke I left the frame with today, he's had an ask around as was unsure on clear coating raw steel, he's of the opinion it will be better off high polished, and treated as the clear coat won't bond properly?, has anybody done this? What did you use? Is it just going to end up rat look?

I've almost finished my firemountain and now riding it, I love the raw alloy look and like the idea of a raw steel shed buddy for it!

He`s right,your frame needs a key for the clear coat to adhere to,otherwise it will simply run off.I would suggest do as the other lads suggest and get it bead blasted.It will leave a lovely consistent smooth finish and enough of a key for your clear coat(of which 3 coats should be applied).

If you plan to leave steel raw my recommendation is to get some of this:

lps3-rust-inhibitor-M00316.jpg

I used LPS 3 on the steel forks of my industrial Peugeot as a test as much as anything and after the first application it was about 10 months before the effect seemed to wear off and surface rust began to appear.

I really should given them a proper clean up and reapply some more.

Cheers will try and get some of that, think ill leave it raw and treat it and see how it goes, worst comes to the worst ill go the clear coat route

Back