Kona PhD - frame colour ?

Lui V

Dirt Disciple
Hi Retro folks
A friend of mine gave me a fairly patinated Kona PhD frame. Thing is that I'll have brush down some severe oxidation in the rear frame including the BB area. It could be fixed with some black Hammerite and a new black carbon fork. But if I could get hold of the name of the original colour and even better RAL code, I'll try to restore it.

I'm pretty colour blind - so please excuse me. I had a Kona Dr. Fine before in Champagne Metallic and in some way it looks similar to the PhD I got now but again it's looks different... pretty confusing 🤡 Can't find a colour match in the old Kona catalogs. Believe the frame is from this period 2008 to 2011.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PHD.jpg

I think that's the 2009 version but I'm sure someone can validate. Kona tech are usually good at verifying if you drop them an email.

I went through the different label design and it's a 2008. The sticker on the downtube is unique for this year.
Not a bad bike back in the day with 105/ultegra components.

The color was white only ... with some shiny details. I'll try and clean the frame up and see what's hiding beneath the layers of grime 😁

Udklip.JPG

I have one of these frames hanging in my garage and can confirm that it's a nice pearly/sparkly white. I also have the original carbon fork if you're interested in completing your set. (I'm way too heavy to feel safe riding a carbon fork.)

I have one of these frames hanging in my garage and can confirm that it's a nice pearly/sparkly white. I also have the original carbon fork if you're interested in completing your set. (I'm way too heavy to feel safe riding a carbon fork.)
That's nice and sorry for this late answer. But postage and custom cost to Denmark wan't make that feasible.

Need some help here.

This Kona PhD which I believe is from 2010 needs a headset.
Haven't worked with this standard for ages but it looks like Integrated - aka the bearings that is resting on the frame without cups. The width is about 41.x mm. https://99spokes.com/en-EU/bikes/kona/2010/ph.d states a FSA Orbit #8BE headset but it doesn't help me since it's gone out of production.

What should I buy instead ?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6594.JPG

Original here:

I think you’ll just have to try some, if you don’t buy the original. CRC do a 45 degree headset for just over a tenner.

Original here:

I think you’ll just have to try some, if you don’t buy the original. CRC do a 45 degree headset for just over a tenner.

Thanks Splatter Paint! That's really helpful 🙏

Back