cycling in the right hand lane

amt27

Retro Guru
just got stopped by the cops for cycling in the right hand lane in two lane traffic (coming into brighton under the viaduct)
apparantly for slowing up the traffic,
i had to cycle in this lane as cycling in the left curb would have ment i had to cross two lanes of traffic to turn right at the end of the road,
i told the copper this and he said thats what you have to do,

is this correct?

seems a bit harsh. I do it a lot when coming up to roundabouts. Why should you as a cyclist do any different to a car? Arguably more dangerous for cyclists to cross 2 lanes than stay in right hand lane. Don't know the legality of it, mind.

As far as i was aware cyclists had to obey the highway code just like any other road users.

Probably just your average power crazy copper on yet another donut high :twisted:

orange71":38zf9jxs said:
Don't know the legality of it, mind.

Cyclists have to comply with the same laws as other road users.

Here's one for you. Did you know that it's technically illegal for a cyclist to ride over 20 mph? That's a hang over from the 1800s when bikes were considered to be a menace to other road users. :)

Xesh":2jd65wwe said:
orange71":2jd65wwe said:
Don't know the legality of it, mind.

Cyclists have to comply with the same laws as other road users.

Here's one for you. Did you know that it's technically illegal for a cyclist to ride over 20 mph? That's a hang over from the 1800s when bikes were considered to be a menace to other road users. :)

I have heard that.
You can be prosicuted for 'cycling furriously' :LOL:

The question is do you get banned for travelling at twice the speed limit? I quite regularly try to set off the speed cameras near me. Especially the ones at the bottom of hills. It's even better if you can set it off with a car in the marked area. I bet they wonder if the camera is working properly then! :LOL: :LOL:

have had a quick look on http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070308

"143
One-way streets. Traffic MUST travel in the direction indicated by signs. Buses and/or cycles may have a contraflow lane. Choose the correct lane for your exit as soon as you can. Do not change lanes suddenly. Unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise, you should use

the left-hand lane when going left
the right-hand lane when going right
the most appropriate lane when going straight ahead. Remember – traffic could be passing on both sides
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & RTRA sects 5 & 8]"

Back