Ringle supereight hub

Gtsnitro.666.

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone, I've got a 1994 GT rts-1 which I want to start using for retro rides down memory lane, back when the bike was nearly new I had built up a set of new wheels by stif cycles. I went for a Ringle bubba front hub with a Ringle supereight rear hub, for a good number of yrs I enjoyed trouble free use, but when I stopped using the bike in the early 00's because I purchased a new bike, the rear hub showed signs the bearings were worn, looking back I should have had the bearings changed, but no I've left it till now, and I can't find any shops in the Swansea and Cardiff area that are able to remove the rachet ring gear. Can anybody help with finding the right tool or shop that can assist in removing the rachet ring gear so the bearings can be changed.
Thanks.

On the supereight and the superdupereight the ratchet ring is basically not removable. It's screwed into the shell, and riding the bike further tightens it.
To unscrew it you need to unscrew it with more torque than you managed to put through the pedals turning 24x32, no doubt when you were probably at your peak fitness.
There is/was a tool to unscrew it, and it was fine for use in the factory, but for a bike that has been ridden, I've never been able to get a ratchet ring out that has been ridden for any length of time.

As you have found, the supereight has the hub shell drive-side bearing captured by the aforementioned ring. The best you can do is replace the other three bearings. That bearing is buried, and is usually "ok".
For the superdupereight, the 32mm OD bearing will come out through the ratchet ring. It looks tight, but it will fit.

On the supereight and the superdupereight the ratchet ring is basically not removable. It's screwed into the shell, and riding the bike further tightens it.
To unscrew it you need to unscrew it with more torque than you managed to put through the pedals turning 24x32, no doubt when you were probably at your peak fitness.
There is/was a tool to unscrew it, and it was fine for use in the factory, but for a bike that has been ridden, I've never been able to get a ratchet ring out that has been ridden for any length of time.

As you have found, the supereight has the hub shell drive-side bearing captured by the aforementioned ring. The best you can do is replace the other three bearings. That bearing is buried, and is usually "ok".
For the superdupereight, the 32mm OD bearing will come out through the ratchet ring. It looks tight, but it will fit.
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I could have purchased the removal tool yrs ago from the shop that i purchased the hubs from, but I left it thinking I'll get one another day. I've removed rachet ring gears before, that are stubborn little buggers to say the least. I'll get the other remaining bearings changed and see if that fixes the issue fingers crossedit will. I've been looking at ringle new old stock hubs on ebay, but there not cheap, if the hub doesn't get sorted I'll probably re-rim the original wheels I've got in the loft, it would be a shame as the ringle hubs are cracking hubs when the bearings are spot on.
Anyway thanks for your response.

Back