UK vs US brake differences.

I've heard a different story from the roadies, back in the day when they were running down tube shifters alot of the top riders switched the brake leavers to have their left hand opperating the front brake so they could brake into a corner & downshift at the same time allowing faster acceleration out of the corner. Don't know how true it is but makes perfect sense to me.

I prefer my rear brake on the right side, which coincidentally IS the right side, so I can use my strong hand to "back it in" to all the corners as only a Canadian riding Rocky Mountain fire roads can do correctly.

now drift you lot... ;)

whoever has it wrong, I don't mind, I'm just glad people do it differently as my F.I.L thought it'd be cool to do a skid on his hire bike. . . and over the handlebars he went :)

Chopper1192":27h317y2 said:
Dont the yankees have the front brake on the left, so they can hold their breakfast burger and fries with the right?
It's called a McGriddle ;)

Attachments

• 271557.jpg
    271557.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 123
T'boo Ted":3e6ptqln said:
front brake should be on the left, thats the proper way.

Your statement is invalid because your bathwater goes down the plughole in the wrong direction.

Front brake on the left here, as it should be. If the front brake was supposed to be on the right, the front shifter would have been on the right too. And V-brakes would have been the other way around as well.

Why wouuld you put the lever for the least used mech on the right, where the majority of people keep their strongest and most dextrous hand? That'd be like mounting the burger-and-fries carrier just out of reach on the down tube where the average Obese-ican can't quite reach it.

front brake and rear mech are the most used, as Chopper says, therefore the right place for the right hand due to it's dextrousity. Also useful for feathering the front brake so you don't go OTHB

Latest posts

Back