Do-it-all build ideas.

Okay, if the Ozark is too dark, how about a luminous Raleigh Special Products Randonneur in heat treated reynolds 708? Might know of one for sale in 23" flavour ....

legrandefromage":2we3wq1i said:
That Yukon looks right for you.

As you mention, brakes in the right place, right sized frame and so on. You have the makings of a 26" Galaxy right there.

Drop-bars, quality wheels, wide range cassette and a good spread of chain rings. Cantilevers and road levers work well with heavy loads if time is taken to set them up properly. V-brake road levers are available too but I find v-brakes a bit snatchy for touring use. I found some Tektro levers which are adjustable between canti and V and can take this abruptness out (fork judder - just ask any Specialized Tricross owner)

The Yukon also has all the mounts needed, headset is 1 1/8th so you can easily go to ahead with Surly forks and stems galore.

Yep, well that's the sort of lines I was thinking along. No mounts for a rack, but clips work fine and it could share the mudguard bolts. I might have a measure up and see how the geometry compares to say a 26" Surly LHT. Do you think a fork upgrade would be worthwhile?

*Edit: Here is my 700c 'do-it-all' bike - its goes off-road quite well, commutes 30 miles a day and gets muddy during this overlong winter. It has survived winter road salt well but has literally eaten a set of 30 year old NOS Shimano brake blocks...

Gearing is absurdly wide with 34/ 28 through to 11/50!

file.php

That's really nice - in fact making me lean towards a vintage tourer instead...

doctor-bond":3q6ywov6 said:
Okay, if the Ozark is too dark, how about a luminous Raleigh Special Products Randonneur in heat treated reynolds 708? Might know of one for sale in 23" flavour ....

Sounds nice. More info please :)

bluetomgold":3fr4z79n said:
doctor-bond":3fr4z79n said:

Sounds nice. More info please :)

I've passed on the Randonneur following discussion via PM. Would be up for something similar though if the price/size/condition are right. I wanted to have a fiddle with the Yukon today, but the weather has left me stuck indoors.

Ola BlueTomGold
I've just been out to the shed to find a 700c 21"c-t Scott town/xc in genuine scott 4130 mtb cromo tubing with v brake mounts and full brazings, nothing too fancy but sort of in the ball park , if your interested I'll try to get some photos to ya asap. Pm me if yer interested
Thanxeverso DrJo

DrJo":2mbf35yw said:
Ola BlueTomGold
I've just been out to the shed to find a 700c 21"c-t Scott town/xc in genuine scott 4130 mtb cromo tubing with v brake mounts and full brazings, nothing too fancy but sort of in the ball park , if your interested I'll try to get some photos to ya asap. Pm me if yer interested
Thanxeverso DrJo
Thanks, been accumulating bikes over the past coupe of weeks so I'm gonna have to pass for the time being.

Back