frame identification - enthusiast bike building newbie

maelleturgeon

Retro Newbie
I recently bought this frame of Marktplaats in the Netherlands, with the project of building it myself - a first experience - with a touring/bike packing setup. Before starting I would be curious to know more about the frame, the model, the manufacturer, when it was built, and so on. I have scrolled through many Muddy Fox, Orange, and Giant brochures (following the wishbone seat stay) but I haven't got a successful match yet (either the dropouts don't match or the misalignment of the seat stay and top tube). The paint looks freshly redone and there are no decals or stickers apart from the bike shop. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 23
Looks a bit Rocky-mountain esque. Though there are a few differences. Is there a serial number? It should be somewhere around the bottom bracket.

Offset rear triangle could suggest an Orbit Romany, one of the few production frames I can recall with one. I can't recall if they had a wishbone rear though.

The rear brake cable stop, wishbone and top tube routing look very Orange P7, although the rear dropouts are a puzzle.

Looks a bit Rocky-mountain esque. Though there are a few differences. Is there a serial number? It should be somewhere around the bottom bracket.
There is, although because of the new paint, it seems quite thick, it is hard to read. What I managed to decipher was PK2860804. Not sure if that can tell us something.

Offset rear triangle could suggest an Orbit Romany, one of the few production frames I can recall with one. I can't recall if they had a wishbone rear though.

The rear brake cable stop, wishbone and top tube routing look very Orange P7, although the rear dropouts are a puzzle.
I will dig further into the Orbit hypothesis, thanks. As for the P7 I did look quite a bit into it, but the rear dropouts and the way the wishbone is built don't match.. see the picture for reference. On my frame, the U part of the wishbone is continuous and on the P7, it is intersected by the straight tube behind the seat post.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpeg
    s-l1600.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 2
Good point on the P7 wishbone, totally different.
Orbit Romany was also called Revell Romany or simply Romany, but IIRC the earlier ones were 700C, only the later ones (mid-90s) went to 26"/559 wheels.

Back