Re using Sky Boxes question

argonsixar

Retro Guru
Does anyone here have any knowledge of whether an old Sky HD box can be used to record ? I cancelled my Sky subscription and it still works fine as a receiver for free channels, but I don't want to buy a recording device if I don't need to

My mate just bought a different card to use it as a recorder.... I will check which when I see him this weekend

G

It definitely wont record anything. I just get an onscreen prompt telling me to contact sky. I hope there is a way of busting in and re setting it somehow :?

legrandefromage":2tz8a20j said:
do you have a free to air card in it?

No I just cancelled the subscription and noticed that it still works for a few dozen channels. I assume a free to air card is the holy grail then ?

argonsixar":1qqblfo3 said:
legrandefromage":1qqblfo3 said:
do you have a free to air card in it?

No I just cancelled the subscription and noticed that it still works for a few dozen channels. I assume a free to air card is the holy grail then ?

You can get them from Sky. I think they were about a tenner. Dont know about after a subscription though.

Got my HD box from the tip and it records fine. They still fetch a few quid on ebay and HD freesat recorders are not expensive anymore. Just use the existing dish /LNB installation and connect it to the new box. If your LNB has 4 outputs, you can add anther two receivers or another receiver/ recorder.

Latest posts

Back