Ron cooper

The workshop is 10 minutes from me .

Met him when i had my ritchey p21 painted .

Nice bike .

cchris2lou":1h6cb6yn said:
The workshop is 10 minutes from me .

Met him when i had my ritchey p21 painted .

Nice bike .

Cheers... I'm hoping to speak to Ron but he is poorly and not at work :(

While researching Ron cooper for info I found an interview Ron done and
His passion was evident and he sounds as though he has some very interesting stories ...

Col :)

Very Nice
Probably one of the best British builders.
One of the first to use larger section tubes for rear triangles and F blades.
Les S

leslie w street":25b5ev9e said:
Very Nice
Probably one of the best British builders.
One of the first to use larger section tubes for rear triangles and F blades.
Les S

Thanks for info..... Been sidetracked last few weeks but now have her cabled up and gears/brakes fettled... Just bar tape to fit and I will pop up finished pics :)

All done ... Really really pleased how she turned out... Original pics and condition on pick up never filled me with enthusiasm ... As in most cases a good clean/degrease and some lovin turns out a peach :)

The modern seatpost is with a metal refinisher to be polished to remove logo,s
Not a purist choice but nice and light and I like em..

I will confess(coming more from mtb background) I never heard of Ron cooper :oops: However on searching for info on my frame I discovered he was one of Britain's best !

I had tried to contact Ron for few months(unsuccessfully) to try to pin down date and just to speak to the man himself.. And on hearing of Ron's passing it gave me kick up arse to finish..

With info received and speaking to other Ron cooper owners I'm happy to conclude mine is 80/81

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Re: Ron cooper "First ride"

Took the cooper out for a short spin today and it was not what I expected... Having heard the stories of old steel frames being flexy/noodly I experienced none of that ! Maybe cause I'm a lightweight I don't know?

The bike is really really comfy and compliant which I love.. Gonna take me a bit of time to get used to the down tube shifting :)

You lucky Bugger! I had a slightly later cooper in the lovely blue (single colour) that your bike has. Lever bosses were brazed and less chrome, but the rest was the same...a really lovely bike to race on. If you ever want to sell this beauty give me a PM!

That's not just a steel frame, that's a hand made steel frame ;)

Very very nice , love the colour , bronze & blue really suits the bike ....
I'd put some tan leather bar tape & matching leather saddle on her ...... Would look stunning with those hoods & classic gum wall tyres .... But hey that's just an opinion ..... & it's looking so nice already
Great work

Re:

Non drive has diamond with 3 inside.. Drive side has circle with 0

Right hand crank is 1980, which looks in amazing condition. Left is 1973.

The modern seatpost is with a metal refinisher to be polished to remove logo,s
Not a purist choice but nice and light and I like em..

I'd think you would have no choice but to use a modern one, or maybe an old MTB seatpin. Your frame is actually too small. The amount of exposed seatpost as it is now is probably longer than the whole length of an old seatpost.

I would put the date a bit later to around the mid 80s or later, because of the allen key brakes, under bb cables, full sloping crown. A 1980 frame would more likely to have over bb cables, nutted brakes and a semi-sloping crown.

A couple of other things: the tubing sticker is much older than the frame, and the bb looks quite high.

Back