Colnago – because they are worth it?

Most road bikes were built with lugs not just Colnago's. That's how lightweight steel frames were constructed, with brazed lugs.

It wasn't a colnago innovation just so they could produce crappy bikes quickly on a production line.

It's not the fault of the poor lugs, leave them out of it.
:)

I talked to a very respected framebuilder and he dismantled many framesets and told me that you could take any Colnago, stick it on the jig and all the angles and measurements would be perfect.
I'm lucky enough to have a 80s Super in SL and a 90s decor in CroMo,
They are both lovely rides, the Super is exceptional.
Colnago as well as De Rosa, Tommassini and a few other sell at a premium, from a collectors point of view one assumes that may continue, the market seems to have reach a decision over prices of certain models and thus buyers are more confident in handing over their cash for one of the above rather than a Rossin or Ciocc for example.
Gilco tubed Masters especially in small sizes can fetch a grand just for frame sets. Whether the forces responsible for driving these prices is set to remain steady only time will tell. :)

I've owned seven Colnagos over the last 30+ years.

Raced Supers in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

I have observed a wide swing in terms of build quality.

Mainly on the early eighties Supers and then the various Masters I owned.

I currently own a 1978 Super and a 1993 Elegant.

The 1993 Elegant is my favorite all time Colnago. Built from Columbus ELOS and sports a little faster handling than my Master Extra Light, it is a pure joy to ride.

Here is a pic:

6223191173_e47f81af01_o.jpg

Colnagos cost custom money for production-line built frames. They're ever so pretty though.

I remember during the late eighties/early nineties that Colnago's were utterly out of my price range, also that all the iconic Italian frames were always heavier, albeit prettier than the UK reynolds framed equivalent.

Looking back, they are certainly nice...there's something timeless and extremely appealing about a garishly painted late 80's Colnago decorated with polished and glistening Campag!

As a complete newbie to the road scene I can only go by the look and the tubeset of a frame for my assessment. I do like the Colgano bikes, they have a stance that appeals, and I'd quite like a C40 or maybe another a mid 90's model, but I just don't get the prices.

Equally I don't understand why we don't hold many of our own frame builders (of the past and present) in higher regard, but that's another thread.

Very true, CCE - he was being paid by Molteni at the time (1972) and Molteni used Colnago bikes from '69 to '73, so perhaps he didn't have a choice...

Back