How to medicate your moggy

:)

Our little fluffy murderer is on a daily pill to control her age-related hyper thyroid.

We have taken to mashing the pill up in some tuna. She thinks she is the luckiest cat in the world 'cos she gets tuna (cat street name "fin") every morning.

Marmite seems to work quite well as a tablet-disguising mechanism.

Extremely diligent cats will of course also "check" your food and drink as well as their own for concealed medicines, just to be on the safe side, like:

http://cheezburger.com/944723200

;)

David

grahame":16tyy2fb said:
:)

Our little fluffy murderer is on a daily pill to control her age-related hyper thyroid.

We have taken to mashing the pill up in some tuna. She thinks she is the luckiest cat in the world 'cos she gets tuna (cat street name "fin") every morning.

yep - same here - the vet have a special metal instrument similar to appearance to a syringe for shoving tablets into a cat's gob - but I do same as you - put a teaspoon of food in bowl, crush tablet, cover with a little bit more food. This is not ideal as the table should be swallowed whole for a longer release. :?

sometimes I can get my cat to swallow tablet whole by wrapping just enough minced meat to cover the tablet but she has recently twigged to that resulting in the minced meat being eaten but tablet spat out on the floor. :twisted:

Cats are great aren't they, a dog is easier to medicate they just see anything that approaches their mouth as food and pups are even easier, just bury the medication in their crap and they will eat it.

My Mrs does the towel trick on ours, works perfectly. Wrap the little shit up, open his gob, drop the tablet in, hold his gob shut and gently blow on his nose to make him swallow. Amazing technique!

A vet showed me cos our lovely little FEMALE cat has the worst temper, all claws & teeth :twisted:

Anyway, sit cat on lap with or without cat in towel.
put left arm over cats back and put left hand on top of head and lift cats head so its looking straight up.

With tablet between thumb & index finger of right hand use 3rd finger to open cats mouth & drop tablet in & the close cats mouth & blow on cats nose & rub throat.

Hopefully thats it :)

We have around 36 cats at the moment in the refuge and 10 family cats and wormed them all last night. I usually wear my motorbike jacket and a pair of welders gaunlets and safety goggles as a lot of them go mental even before they're wrapped in a towel. The worst is when the cats come to us we have to bath them in a insecticidal shampoo, thats when you can pick up some really good lacerations if you're lucky, my wife and I have 'who's got the best cat wound' competitions. All good fun though.

B77":18x11lpo said:
We have around 36 cats at the moment in the refuge and 10 family cats and wormed them all last night. I usually wear my motorbike jacket and a pair of welders gaunlets and safety goggles as a lot of them go mental even before they're wrapped in a towel. The worst is when the cats come to us we have to bath them in a insecticidal shampoo, thats when you can pick up some really good lacerations if you're lucky, my wife and I have 'who's got the best cat wound' competitions. All good fun though.

Good you are looking after cats :D

Mine was an old ex feral family cat, it had been wild for a couple of years prior to being forced into someone's garage in the winter where the guy tried to take it in but it beat the crap out of his existing cats so it had to go. My neighbour worked at a vets and she already took on too destined for the needle cats ( one was a Turkish Van and yes it was regularly seen in the pond swimming about), and so took this one on but it scrapped with the existing cats so faced with the needle again I took it on and what a bundle of problems that cat was, a long haired cat in pain with heavily matted hair, I could feel the knots right up against it's skin, so it was soak cat hair in coconut butter to loosen the knots and then cut them out with scissors the ones that could not be teased out. I got the low growls, but she didn't fight back, perhaps she guessed I was trying to help her. After that my cat could be easily moulded with coconut butter and so she got a spoonful of it every day which was fab for her coat, it never knotted again.

I passed the cat to my mother last xmas as her problems were too much for me and she was eating more than me, but my sister rescues unwanted animals and looks after them, so she had the cat checked out and found it was a very old cat with kidney problems and now I am told a possible brain tumour as one of her legs is paralysed, but she is still happy enough, so my sister is one that will not destroy an animal if it appears to be having some quality of life. But in the year she has been looking after the cat she notices it is a very solitary cat and will not go near humans by choice, so there is perhaps some bad history there, which could be why she ended up feral. But my parents place is a big detached house with half acre garden, the cat is sorted, but it won't go outside. Poor cat.

Back