Flying Ants...

GT-Steve":11oqq3hp said:
one day they'll rule the skies...
Mark my words..

Once they get ahold of lasers, you're all doomed.

Luckily we don't have them here. My city has a bylaw against them. Them, and mosquitoes.

Rig a magnifying glass focused to an intense heat point at the entrance to the nest, see how many dare to come out to die.

GT-Steve":yt37oqrz said:
.. So this afternoon I went out into the garden and there was just millions of the buggers flying up to the jaws of doom circling above, in the skies.

Hmm,no way I'm going to kill them nice little creatures,since You posted that macro photo. :cool:

B77":32k6wpb4 said:
What a bunch of cruel people you lot are. Pretty sickening really.

Relax, stuff mentioned is in remembrance of cruel childhoods in most cases, as tell me you didn't do your bit in eradicating things smaller than yourself as a child. I remember primary school one summer, there was a craze for magnifying glasses as after dinner so many were outside in the afternoon sun playing death ray with the ants and singeing anything else dark including much of the school paint work.

I'm going to sound like a really holier than thou twat now.....the only thing I remember killing as a kid were some spider mites when I was about 5, had fights with the kids with the magnifying glasses, a vegetarian since I was 14, am a member of the anti vivisection society, did a lot of hunt sabbing around the country in my 20's and early 30's, amongst other animal welfare related things (a couple of which I was detained at her majestys pleasure for) and now my wife and I have a smallish animal sanctuary in France.........

Sorry to sound so sanctimonious

they like my salty sweat!
i'm no fan of them either, but don't see the point in killing them, they out number us 10,000:1 or something ridiculous like that.
and they only come back again when the heat and humidity is up :p

the one thing i don't have any qualms in ending the life of is Wasps.
if i were a spider, i'd enjoy eating a wasp, really slowly, in front of all its wasp friends.

silverclaws":qyxcozhu said:
B77":qyxcozhu said:
What a bunch of cruel people you lot are. Pretty sickening really.
Relax, stuff mentioned is in remembrance of cruel childhoods in most cases, as tell me you didn't do your bit in eradicating things smaller than yourself as a child. I remember primary school one summer, there was a craze for magnifying glasses as after dinner so many were outside in the afternoon sun playing death ray with the ants and singeing anything else dark including much of the school paint work.
There's a difference, though, in remembering things that you did as a kid - that were quite cruel, but when you maybe didn't really know better - or more likely, didn't have mature impulse control, to reliving and redo-ing things you did as a kid, though.

I know insects can be pests, and realise that in plenty of situations may need eradicating - but I can't be the only one feeling a little uncomfortable that some seem to be celebrating and revelling in it.

I'm not about to get all I'm-considerably-more-holier-than-yaaaww about this, but all the same, it does seem a bit, well, uncomfortable to me.

As to you responding like this, well I have to say, as somebody who's defended you, before now, for people maybe picking on you, it does seem a little off - you're not shy about complaining and pointing out that you feel people have been getting at you, but when it's something else that's been pointed at an laughed, there seems something of a climb-down from the lofty heights of your steed.

Back