boy"O"boy's Pace RC100S

burkeredh":158xefkw said:
looking good, glad to see that it went to someone who loves it !
Can't wait to see the end result, :D

Thanks for selling it to me! :cool:
Project well underway way now so hopefully not as long as some of my other projects!

*INSTALLMENT #6*
Magura hose guides.

As mentioned previously, when I tried to remove the hose guides from the top tube, unfortunately the 'pegs' underneath broke off and were rattling around the in the top tube. The upper part of the guide is then useless.
I'm using pete_mcc's 'silicon in the top tube' to stop these bits moving around instead of drilling any holes - but what to do about new hose guides? Is it possible to get an improved version of the originals?

I've seen the riveted on examples with space for a zip-tie to hold the hose in place, but I really wanted something that looked authentic.

Having GOM scanned the frame in the previous installment, I now had the data for hole diameter and spacing to build some new ones. Using a salvaged original as a guide, a colleague modelled a new version in CAD (Alias wavefront) and checked the fit of the pegs using the GOM scan.
Once we were happy with the data, it was then exported as an stl. file and literally 'grown' using a process called SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) or Stereolithography. More information here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwQ5HA8sE-k

The end result fits perfectly (hose has been tried) but can now be removed without breaking. They will need to be lightly rubbed down and painted for the final finish. We use this process to make detail parts to be fitted to clay exteriors and interiors and paint these parts all the time for dress reviews of full size models.

Coming soon - Anodising the fork crown.

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• RC100_Lineguides4.jpg
    RC100_Lineguides4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,224
  • RC100_Lineguides3.jpg
    RC100_Lineguides3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,225
  • RC100_Lineguides2.jpg
    RC100_Lineguides2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,225
  • RC100_Lineguides1.jpg
    RC100_Lineguides1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,225
INSTALLMENT #7

Anodising the fork crown.

Progress with the RC100 has still been slow. :? ... I have managed to get the RC30/35 fork crown anodised by a local firm.
http://www.actionplating.co.uk/index2.html
I was thinking a dark grey.... and the result looks more 'Hope Gunsmoke' than grey, but I actually quite like it! It certainly make my build a bit more individual. ;)
I might look around for another 1" pace crown to anodise in Grey, but for the time being - I'm going to go with this. I can always use the Crown on the RC35 legs if it doesn't suit the RC30 '531 blades'.

Here's some pics -

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• anocrown3.jpg
    anocrown3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,097
  • anocrown2.jpg
    anocrown2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • anocrown1.jpg
    anocrown1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • pacecrown4.jpg
    pacecrown4.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • pacecrown3.jpg
    pacecrown3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • pacecrown1.jpg
    pacecrown1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,098
..... Stem, Bulleyes, 531 Fork blades into paint too.
Etch primed then MY005.55 Metallic yellow. :cool:

Contact areas masked off. M5 bolts inserted to protect the threads for the crank spider and Magura mounts. Wax squeezed into pedal and stem threads to prevent paint damaging them.... turnaround dependant on how busy the paint shop is!

Pics..

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• prep4.jpg
    prep4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • prep3.jpg
    prep3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,074
  • prep2.jpg
    prep2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,075
  • prep1.jpg
    prep1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,074
exceptional work Ben - I'm really enjoying the updates. :D

The hose guides look fantastic - I can imagine you might get a few requests for "help" from a few people :LOL:

Looking forward to more updates.

M

letmetalktomark":108txn1u said:
exceptional work Ben - I'm really enjoying the updates. :D

The hose guides look fantastic - I can imagine you might get a few requests for "help" from a few people :LOL:

Looking forward to more updates.

M

Cheers Mark. :D
You're right! - the cost of producing limited runs of parts like these though, mean I only have the ones shown in the picture.... and they're all spoken for already!!

Fork legs, Bulleyes and Stem back from the paint shop. Looking good in Metallic yellow :cool:
Frame and line guides next to go into paint.... hopefully in the next few days! Decals to go onto Fork legs and bulleyes before clear coating...then assembly.

Updates to follow....

In the meantime. a few pics.

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• FORKSpainted.jpg
    FORKSpainted.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 879
Just bringing this thread back and see it's been a while since any updates, so come on, where are we now with this build??

Metallic Yellow looks lush :)

Rich

Back