boy"O"boy's 1990 Serotta Offroad Pro-flex

Love the documentation of this thread. Sad to see old original paint come off, but also exciting to see what it reveals such as finely impressioned frame stamp and trimmed down Campagnolo cable guide.

it's a Kennedy Tools ruler that is just part of my model making toolkit.
Are you a model maker by trade? I'm an industrial designer and use to do model making prior before becoming a full time designer. Is this your spray booth in work? If so very handy. I use to work in a creative agency in Notting Hill, based in a small exclusive Mews (Salman Rushdie lived there!) and it had an amazing workshop there with tons of engineering and fabrication equipment including a spray booth. It was so useful for repairing bikes. My boss was a motorcyclist so had no issue with me tinkering with bikes during work hours if I completed all my work!

As always keep up the great work - which is both the physical doing and remembering to take photos!!! 👍💪

I hate painting anything. That looks great!
Thanks David. That's the MK1 flexstem you donated to me that you see there. Hopefully it'll look as good as new when I'm done 🤞🏻

Love the documentation of this thread. Sad to see old original paint come off, but also exciting to see what it reveals such as finely impressioned frame stamp and trimmed down Campagnolo cable guide.

Are you a model maker by trade? I'm an industrial designer and use to do model making prior before becoming a full time designer. Is this your spray booth in work? If so very handy. I use to work in a creative agency in Notting Hill, based in a small exclusive Mews (Salman Rushdie lived there!) and it had an amazing workshop there with tons of engineering and fabrication equipment including a spray booth. It was so useful for repairing bikes. My boss was a motorcyclist so had no issue with me tinkering with bikes during work hours if I completed all my work!

As always keep up the great work - which is both the physical doing and remembering to take photos!!! 👍💪
Thanks @27motorhead
It's a shame that the original paint couldn't be preserved but in all honesty, it was in pretty bad shape. Some of the gouges had gone back to the metal and when Lee had the bottom bracket holes repaired, the paint has been removed from that area. If I can get it near the job @pete_mcc did with his Pro-flex, I'd be very happy.

In terms of the model making, I graduated in product and furniture design before moving onto model making. For the last 25 years I've been an Automotive Clay modeller and have worked for several OEM's in the UK and Germany. Many people out there think it's all done by 3D printing nowadays, but making full size 1:1 models out of clay still very much has it's place in the industry. The tech has moved on and whilst we have to have working knowledge of 3 and 5 axis milling systems and tool path programming, Photogrammetry scanning, and SLA/SLS 3D printing, hand finishing and surface highlighting is still the analogue part of the process that is very much alive.

Most of those I work with are into bikes/motorbikes/cars/RC/ model making so there's always a side project kicking around somewhere - the spray booth with extraction is no exception! The paint shop with proper temperature controlled booths will take care of the final clear coat.

Glad you're enjoying the updates to the thread. As with my previous builds, I like to give a comprehensive record of what I've done with loads of pictures along the way.
If it helps as a guide to a restoration or becomes a go to thread for that particular bike/model then even better!

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Sad to see the paint and patina go but I have done it myself to achieve a better looking frame set. To be fair, the paint was original but tired and the evidence of repairs was left deliberately - not everybody's piece of cake, so I'm glad someone is saving this and doing a good job of it too.

Looks quite nice in bare metal 👍

Would be nice to see this finished at York or the Malverns.

Thanks David. That's the MK1 flexstem you donated to me that you see there. Hopefully it'll look as good as new when I'm done 🤞🏻

Thanks @27motorhead
It's a shame that the original paint couldn't be preserved but in all honesty, it was in pretty bad shape. Some of the gouges had gone back to the metal and when Lee had the bottom bracket holes repaired, the paint has been removed from that area. If I can get it near the job @pete_mcc did with his Pro-flex, I'd be very happy.

In terms of the model making, I graduated in product and furniture design before moving onto model making. For the last 25 years I've been an Automotive Clay modeller and have worked for several OEM's in the UK and Germany. Many people out there think it's all done by 3D printing nowadays, but making full size 1:1 models out of clay still very much has it's place in the industry. The tech has moved on and whilst we have to have working knowledge of 3 and 5 axis milling systems and tool path programming, Photogrammetry scanning, and SLA/SLS 3D printing, hand finishing and surface highlighting is still the analogue part of the process that is very much alive.

Most of those I work with are into bikes/motorbikes/cars/RC/ model making so there's always a side project kicking around somewhere - the spray booth with extraction is no exception! The paint shop with proper temperature controlled booths will take care of the final clear coat.

Glad you're enjoying the updates to the thread. As with my previous builds, I like to give a comprehensive record of what I've done with loads of pictures along the way.
If it helps as a guide to a restoration or becomes a go to thread for that particular bike/model then even better!

Cheers
boy"O"boy
Ah an automotive clay modeller. Proper skills then! Good to hear you had a product & furniture design background, useful for both your paid work and also bike restoration where a designers eye is an incredibly useful tool in executing details just right. As long as you don't get too creative and deviate off-brief! ;)... Just been looking at your amazing Pace and Klein threads! :cool: Not sure how I missed those! 😍

Sad to see the paint and patina go but I have done it myself to achieve a better looking frame set. To be fair, the paint was original but tired and the evidence of repairs was left deliberately - not everybody's piece of cake, so I'm glad someone is saving this and doing a good job of it too.

@retrobikeguy
Thanks Lee. After admiring your Pro-flex in your thread and saying I'd like to get my hands on one some day, I was chuffed when I got this one only to realize it was the one you had documented in your thread. Unfortunately, I couldn't live with that level of Patina - if it had been a team race bike it might have been different!

Now momentum is underway, bringing the finished bike to York or the Malverns could be a real prospect. Maybe bring a Dynatech Endeavour too?

Ah an automotive clay modeller. Proper skills then! Good to hear you had a product & furniture design background, useful for both your paid work and also bike restoration where a designers eye is an incredibly useful tool in executing details just right. As long as you don't get too creative and deviate off-brief! ;)... Just been looking at your amazing Pace and Klein threads! :cool: Not sure how I missed those! 😍
@27motorhead
Don't worry! - my attention to detail is normally for factory or Period correct. However, if you look closely there's an individual touch or deviation from original spec somewhere....but it's very subtle. Glad you like the Pace and Klein build threads... For full repaints and bare metal action check out the Browning Marin Pine Mountain or my Dynatech Endeavour threads.

More to come later.
boy"O"boy

Looking awesum so far, i love the raw state too, the details are all there. :cool: 👍 :cool:

@retrobikeguy
Thanks Lee. After admiring your Pro-flex in your thread and saying I'd like to get my hands on one some day, I was chuffed when I got this one only to realize it was the one you had documented in your thread. Unfortunately, I couldn't live with that level of Patina - if it had been a team race bike it might have been different!

Now momentum is underway, bringing the finished bike to York or the Malverns could be a real prospect. Maybe bring a Dynatech Endeavour too?

@27motorhead
Don't worry! - my attention to detail is normally for factory or Period correct. However, if you look closely there's an individual touch or deviation from original spec somewhere....but it's very subtle. Glad you like the Pace and Klein build threads... For full repaints and bare metal action check out the Browning Marin Pine Mountain or my Dynatech Endeavour threads.

More to come later.
boy"O"boy
Apparently mines a team bike, so may keep as is, this thread is absolutely awesome!

Thanks @boy"O"boy I've lost a lot of time this morning looking at your various threads! Great work! Lots of P's... Perseverance, patience, preparation, paint...
@27motorhead He's hoping all those P's add up to perfection!
Glad you like the threads - love a good story!

Looking awesum so far, i love the raw state too, the details are all there. :cool: 👍 :cool:
@sinnerman Thanks Carl. The paint is coming together.
Motivated to get this one done and see it back together.
Apparently mines a team bike, so may keep as is, this thread is absolutely awesome!
@Cristian-T
I think yours is 100% the team bike in the MBUK teamsters feature. I wouldn't repaint yours Cristian - not that it looks like it needs it anyway!

Talking of painting - a small update.
Primer coats now complete. These have been wet sanded with 600 grit, then 800 followed by 1000 in readiness for the colour coats.
1000013502.jpg
The frame and flex-stem in white primer to enhance the lighter colours. The fork and swing arm is black so grey primer.
1000013501.jpg
1000013503.jpg
1000013504.jpg
1000013505.jpg

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Back