It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread!

Nice :) From my cycling era LOL

When those brake levers with extensions were introduced they were called "GT" levers by Raleigh / Carlton. Theye were an absolute pig to set up as the extensions didn't have much travel so the blocks had to be close to the rim.......given the quality control in the 70's that usually meant they rubbed so out came the nipple key LOL

Cheers

Shaun

Dave - I haven' t got any plans for it at all. Personally I don't like the look of it, but it's just aesthetics, and my own opinion. I do intend to replace the Stronglight one with one that suits the bike better, probably a TA crankset.

If you're interested in the original crankset let me know. I also have the bottom bracket and cotter pins. I'd like to keep it all but if I keep stockpiling bits I'll get to the point where my wife asking me "are you planning to open a shop?" every time she sees the garage, starts to sound almost reasonable...

Dawes

Hi Rich
Nice Dawes Galaxy
I have a very similar Dawes model,mine is in very poor condition,but working on it as we speak.Reynolds 531
A friend of mine wants it restored so he can ride it along some North Wales bridlepaths.
It's a very nice olive green colour.Very nice components and a Brooks saddle.
He purchased 2 of them,this one and another gold colour one,they were found in the bottom of a garden where he worked recently.
Same decals as yours.tell me is there a frame number on the LH rear dropout.
I would like to date it.
I will post some photos soon.If you don't mind that is.
Malc

Malc - I'd pop into the garage and have a look but unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment. Will be back mid-February and can have a look then if you like. I "dated" mine my trawling through the Internet and found someone had posted a 1976 brochure online, and there was my bike! Would be good to see some pictures of your Galaxy.

Klunkerbr - not sure what sort of hubs they are but they are nice. The Dawes catalogue I mentioned above simply says "large-flange QR" although there is a brand on there. Will have a look once I'm home.

Hello Rich,
this is a gem of a thread. I'll post up our 70s Galaxy later. The levers were officially called " safety brakes. " Laughable really considering how hopeless they were. If I could I'd like to suggest a couple of long-term ( ie. expensive ) upgrades. Brooks leather bar tape: the most costly but the most durable and comfortable. Secondly, a combination of a Brooks Glenbrook saddlebag with ( essentially ) a Carradice Expedition quick release saddlebag holder. That would carry locks and picnics and look fabulous. The holder's essential to stop the bag drooping up under the saddle and ripping off the mount straps. As you've fabulous weather you could go for the half-the-price Carradice " long flap " saddlebag range. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions - I do plan to get out and about on it and will be looking to get a bag or something. Is that leather Brooks bar tape comfy then? I thought it just looked nice?

You're right about the "safety levers". I had them pinned to the bars and still wasn't stopping! Just not enough leverage. The simple Weinmann levers are a real improvement.

Look forward to seeing yours. Perhaps (I hope) this will turn into the official Dawes Galaxy thread. I still have a copy of Nick Cranes excellent and very evocative "Cycling Around Europe" and the Galaxy, while not mentioned by name, was exactly what he recommended. The CTC wouldn't disagree of course.

Here we go, pretty much all original except the saddle+stem...

6228984664_4f0f79b64e_b.jpg

Some details...

6646384281_24358b44d3_b.jpg

I'm having a big refurbishment later in the year for this bike. Guess what's getting ditched first?

6646384449_c9463488c7_b.jpg

I'm may have a spare Nitto Techtronic stem for this.

6646384375_04c95456ff_b.jpg

When I swap wheels for modern 700s I'm fitting ( more powerful ) long drop double pivot calipers like on my Alves tourer; click on signature below to see the brakes and the super-comfortable Brooks tape.

6646384563_efd45f6899_b.jpg

The refurbishment will enable me to fit indexed 8 speed gears and bar-end shifters or thumbies on a flat bar.

Back