GT Xizang Serial number thread

marinapro":1t0ik328 said:
I learned something from you. Thanks. But I don't understand how they thought that a chrome-moly True Temper rear end could be any sort of improvement over all-titanium. And it's odd to me that their front forks are standard fixed forks, instead of the Rock Shox type that I always see on Xizangs.

It doesn't say that it's an improvement. The fully Ti Xizang LE frame was 2100 retail and they were just offering something less at a lower price point.
That's pretty obvious just by looking at the frame set page in the catalog.
The bi-metal frame was a one year wonder if that tells you anything. Most opted for the fully Ti frame. Again the catalog is from 1991 and if you remember anything about suspension fork history the Rock Shox RS-1 had just been introduced. Note on the catalog page that it is listed as an option.
I raced a couple NORBA Nat's in 91 and from what I remember 80% were still riding rigid forks.

All of this brings me back around to this: What happened to GT and the Xizang? I believe in a free market economy, and that the best ideas and products should succeed while inferior ones should fail on their own. And as a very pleased owner of a GT Xizang for the past 16+ years, I feel she's the best there ever was. Certainly, so excellent that someone would still be making and selling GT Xizangs today.

Why not?

You've answered your own question:

marinapro":9mg3ibav said:
so excellent that someone would still be making and selling GT Xizangs today.

Why not?

marinapro":9mg3ibav said:
as a very pleased owner of a GT Xizang for the past 16+ years,

And that's how 'designed obselecence' came about

I see your point. And I agree with you - in part. But, I've been kind of passively looking for another GT Xizang type bike, but for road use. My bike's basically a hardtail mountain bike, and there are times that I've wanted more of a real road bike. IN ADDITION to my current Xizang.

marinapro":8mhwpxuw said:
I see your point. And I agree with you - in part. But, I've been kind of passively looking for another GT Xizang type bike, but for road use. My bike's basically a hardtail mountain bike, and there are times that I've wanted more of a real road bike. IN ADDITION to my current Xizang.

You mean something like to this to make a matching pair?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=edge

Precisely.

One of these days, a bike like that will come up for sale as a complete bike, at the time I have the cash setting around to buy it. But that's the thing I'm talking about to make a road mate to my mountain bike.

Even with all XTR components and Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.25 road tires on my Xizang, she still isn't quite a real road bike...

No serial no# ?

Wondering if you guys could help me? I've got a Xizang 16" with no serial number. When I bought it I was told that it was a Team Bike. [/img]
Bought it as a project but never got around to it. So it's been hidden away from my wife sitting in my attic with all my other projects. :shock:

Attachments

• P1060084a.jpg
    P1060084a.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,702
Re: No serial no# ?

LuvToRide":341svxjs said:
Wondering if you guys could help me? I've got a Xizang 16" with no serial number. When I bought it I was told that it was a Team Bike. [/img]
Bought it as a project but never got around to it. So it's been hidden away from my wife sitting in my attic with all my other projects. :shock:

Don't believe everything you're told. I've got a number of real GT team frames and all have a serial number a couple have the persons/riders name as the serial number. National Team frames have USACYC as part of the serial number.

LuvToRide":3dxxwdbp said:

I'm sure that must be one of the factory rejects. Not worth anything. But I'll give you $50 US for it. I'm such a nice guy... :LOL:

marinapro":145fspv4 said:
LuvToRide":145fspv4 said:

I'm sure that must be one of the factory rejects. Not worth anything. But I'll give you $50 US for it. I'm such a nice guy... :LOL:

I'll bum you to 500...and the bidding continues?

Back