GT Xizang Serial number thread

Doesn't it seem that if there's NO serial number where one should be, it's either a home-brew bike, or someone's removed it? Why do I get the feeling that there's a history involving crime attached to this frame?

You would really see if someone had removed a serial number from a titanium frame, these are clean, not polished out. And the fact that GM has seen more than a few suggest they never made it to the public through a shop and probably were trade or press samples.

marinapro":2ra5bncv said:
Doesn't it seem that if there's NO serial number where one should be, it's either a home-brew bike, or someone's removed it? Why do I get the feeling that there's a history involving crime attached to this frame?

I've got steel GT's with the original paint on the BB with no serial numbers. Have had both Xizang's and Zaskars with No serial number and there never was one. As deep as GT had the numbers stamped in it would be very difficult to file that much material away and repolish that location as Ken mentioned you'd be able to tell if it were filed away.

Errr, from page 4 of this thread

FMJ":1qbic9wq said:
Nada.

528c0673.jpg

gtRTSdh":1bpun01k said:
Errr, from page 4 of this thread

FMJ":1bpun01k said:

This is a GT Xizang I have never seen before. The bottom bracket looks like a true titanium unit, but the chain rails look to me like some tubes that have been glued into titanium sockets. This is new to me...

marinapro":9krf7j1d said:
This is a GT Xizang I have never seen before. The bottom bracket looks like a true titanium unit, but the chain rails look to me like some tubes that have been glued into titanium sockets. This is new to me...

1991 composite Xizang, quite rare, check FMJ's other threads for better pix. From the 1991 catalogue:

GT1991_USA.jpg

mine is a '97 18"

the number on the bb non-drive side reads GTX9739

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,609
mechagouki":3iq48l28 said:
marinapro":3iq48l28 said:

1991 composite Xizang, quite rare, check FMJ's other threads for better pix. From the 1991 catalogue:

GT1991_USA.jpg

I learned something from you. Thanks. But I don't understand how they thought that a chrome-moly True Temper rear end could be any sort of improvement over all-titanium. And it's odd to me that their front forks are standard fixed forks, instead of the Rock Shox type that I always see on Xizangs.

Back