Raving in the early 90s!

Meanwhile in Scotland...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqA0KfXDdY[/youtube]

The first few minutes of that are some of the best atmosphere you'll ever see at a rave.

20 years I've been at it, from the Fubar, Rez and Hanger 13 in Scotland, to Dreamscape, Helter Skelter and Fantazia in England to Nightmare in Rotterdam, to Ibiza to some mental rave in a hangar at Prague airport and many more besides.

Still do a couple of events a year. I was at Fantazia at Keele Uni a few weeks ago. It's not the same though. I'll sound like a right old **** but the 90s were the days. Record shops, raves, vinyl, flyers, pills, thrills and bellyaches and no internet, mobile phones or selfies. There's no scene these days comes close. Awrite mate? Whit's yer name, where ye fae, whit ye hud? Just doesn't happen anymore.

The good thing about the Fantazia events now is there's no young team, it's like a 90s version of a 70s night in the pub. 40 year old birds with three weans chewing their faces off. :)

I'm not talking crusty hippy raves, you can keep the summer of love bollocks. Hardcore is all I'm interested in and it is an early 90s phenomenon end of story. Probably peaking in England in 92 and in Scotland a couple of years later. Holland later still.

Have a mix

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=OzaLsqnlOHQ[/youtube]

technodup":2c6z8nou said:
I'm not talking crusty hippy raves, you can keep the summer of love bollocks. Hardcore is all I'm interested in and it is an early 90s phenomenon end of story. Probably peaking in England in 92 and in Scotland a couple of years later. Holland later still.

Have a mix

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=OzaLsqnlOHQ[/youtube]

Hardcore definitely early 90's, all but gone by '95 as the music evolved and diverged into Happy and Drum and Bass changing the whole scene with it. My last event was (I think the last to be held there) the Dreamscape 97/98 NYE at Shepton Mallet. I was talking with two guys at the weekend about the Sanctuary and Rollers (we were skating and I was playing a lot of early 90's stuff) and the fact it was flattened to build the MK Dons stadium and Ikea, but I guess the scene had shrunk so much then there was no money in it anymore.
As for 92/93 and Littlecote, I still have tapes from that event but never went as it sold out ages before the date, sad to say I never experienced an old Fantazia event, only Dreamscape, Perception, United Dance, Helter Skelter, Fusion and a Southern Style Exposure.

Carl.

Re:

http://www.breakpirates.com/tune-in/

this net station plays mostly oldskool 1991 to 1993
it has been been online since 2001

live djs on friday from 5pm or 6pm till 12pm

an wensdays 8pm till 11pm the playlist is on when no live dj is on an its a 24-7 stream of past live shows

the djs on other days play jungle an dnb etc ;)

drcarlos":16i0jgmu said:
Hardcore definitely early 90's, all but gone by '95 as the music evolved and diverged into Happy and Drum and Bass changing the whole scene with it.
My favourite styles of hardcore are the original breakbeat, bouncy techno and Dutch gabber. They're all hardcore to me but certainly in England it tends to mean just the one thing. Which confusingly to some would now be termed oldskool. I also have a passing interest in makina :facepalm:

95 still had massive events but the split was there, some happy stuff was good but for me the start of the decline was Toytown. It was then a race to the cheese. I sacked events in 96, and started again in Holland in 08. Now I concentrate on buying the old breakbeat stuff we didn't get in Scotland but some of the prices are mental.

technodup":35rsszb5 said:
drcarlos":35rsszb5 said:
Hardcore definitely early 90's, all but gone by '95 as the music evolved and diverged into Happy and Drum and Bass changing the whole scene with it.
My favourite styles of hardcore are the original breakbeat, bouncy techno and Dutch gabber. They're all hardcore to me but certainly in England it tends to mean just the one thing. Which confusingly to some would now be termed oldskool. I also have a passing interest in makina :facepalm:

95 still had massive events but the split was there, some happy stuff was good but for me the start of the decline was Toytown. It was then a race to the cheese. I sacked events in 96, and started again in Holland in 08. Now I concentrate on buying the old breakbeat stuff we didn't get in Scotland but some of the prices are mental.

I never minded Toytown to be fair and the Happy genre kept the feeling (friendly and welcoming people who were all just up for a good night of dancing and chilling) of the older events alive where the Jungle events and rooms could be downright scary.
The bouncy techno and dutch stuff isn't really my bag (a bit too hard and fast) but had more of the atmosphere of the happy rooms with friendly and chilled people in them (I always enjoyed meeting Dutch clubbers on holiday as they were ace people to go out with).
I don't think I could keep up now to be honest, being chemically enhanced doesn't appeal and I can't drink all night either, I guess I'm just too old for it now. That said if Ratpack, Slipmatt or Seduction were playing locally I'd make an effort to go just for one of their classic sets.
I found a download of Ratpack at Swing '92 the other week and this is the first mix tape I ever heard and still one of my favourites.

Carl.

Back